July 24, 2023

Monday Morning Coffee Talk



Good morning from sunny Pennsylvania! Happy Monday, my friends. How was your weekend? I hope it was full of fun if that is what you planned, or it was cozy and relaxing because that is great too. We had a fun weekend with our friends, who stayed from Thursday until Sunday morning, and into that short amount of time, we crammed a week's worth of activities! We visited with coffee in cozy clothes, went to lunch at a favorite place, went tubing on the lake, watched movies, played games, ate delicious food, and even celebrated Danielle's birthday, which happens to be today! 


Peyton came through again with this delicious dessert! I have shared this before, but here is the recipe in case you missed it.

 Janet's Ice Cream Dessert

               2 boxes of ice cream sandwiches

               1 small container of Cool Whip, thawed

               1 jar Hot Fudge Sauce

               ( Dove or Hershey's are our favorite )

                Crushed Oreos. Sprinkles, etc.


                Unwrap ice cream sandwiches.

                Place in a 13x9-inch pan.

                Cover with half of the Cool Whip.

                Spread Hot Fudge Sauce over Cool Whip.

                Top with another layer of sandwiches.

                Spread the rest of the Cool Whip on top.

                Sprinkle with crushed Oreos.

                Cover and place in freezer.


We had pizza one night, and Red Lobster another, but the best meal was the one Steve prepared. He grilled marinated chip steak and fresh zucchini and made his mother's recipe for Creamed Lettuce over fried potatoes. I added fresh fruit and some Italian bread, and we had a feast! 


The creamed lettuce is a delicious recipe Steve's mom always made during the summer. I remember standing in her kitchen back while I was dating Steve, watching her mix it up. I can't duplicate it yet, but Steve sure can!


If you want to try it...it is really easy. We use garden lettuce. Then mix up mayo or Miracle Whip. I even use Miracle Whip Light. No accurate measurements; just dump some in a bowl. Add some regular vinegar...less than the mayo...enough to thin it out to make it pourable but not watery! Chop up some green onions and toss well. Then put this in the refrigerator while you boil some small red potatoes. Boil them until almost done, cut them in The crea half, and fry until crispy. Put the potatoes on your plate and top with the creamed lettuce. That's it! It is so good!


( I copied and pasted that from an old post! )


After we said goodbye to our friends and returned to bed for a bit, we headed out for a family fun day together! Rhett is our good time organizer, and he planned this quite some time ago. We are all fans of the movies, and although we have different interests, we agreed that we all wanted to see Oppenheimer. Some also wanted to see Barbie, so we headed out late Sunday morning for a day at the movies.


Our car!




Car Number Two!



And Car Number 3, already waiting at the restaurant!


Ready for the movies!


We saw these movies, and Oppenheimer was outstanding. It was more than a movie to me. It was an event. Leaving a film wanting to read and learn more about the events and people depicted means the movie was a success. I will only say a little about Barbie, except that I am unsure of the target audience. As someone who played with Barbies and has had three daughters who also loved them, I was a bit disappointed in the movie. Like many movies, it insisted on conveying a strong message that, to me, was divisive and unnecessary, considering the film's subject is a beloved toy. That is my opinion, and if you are interested in this movie, I urge you to read about it and decide for yourself. Ok. Moving on.

The calendar tells me it is the last week of July, so I am starting to think about lesson planning for Flynn's homeschool, which I am always excited about. This week Flynn has an art lesson and a music lesson. I have a hair appointment and a virtual appointment with my therapist, who keeps me on track with my anxiety and OCD. It is supposed to be hot here, so we should get some swimming and boating in too! And last but not least, this is one of my favorite weeks of the year!



Shark Week!

We made a much bigger event of it when the kids were little. Now it is more laid back, but I still enjoy it. There is just something about knowing so many other people are enjoying it and watching it at the same time. 

Have a wonderful Monday, my friends.
Thanks for visiting!

BillieJo

 

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really great week Billie Jo! So glad you were able to spend fun time with Danielle and even celebrate her Birthday. I haven't seen the Barbie movie but came to the same conclusion as you after watching a few trailers. It's not something I'd be interested in even though I did love my Barbie dolls when I was a kid. Stay cool and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for popping by my new blog, Billie jo! You have been a faithful friend through---what?---4 blogs now. I really thought my last departure from blogging would be permanent, but my love for blogging and my passion for a simple, slow life drew me back. Peyton's dessert looks and sounds amazing. My family would love that! And creamed lettuce? I never heard of that before. It sounds good, though. Isn't it great that your adult kids love being with you? Mine do too, and I don't want to take that for granted, as I have a few friends whose adult kids have severed contact with them. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a good weekend. We talked about the Oppenheimer movie but we didn't see it. Our daughter got a book from library to find more about it. I went to a memorial service on Saturday at church for a friend's dad who died. Phi had to work and daughter cleaned old fire trucks at a museum in Brooks. Church on Sunday and lunch at Hungry Lion before home. I'm hoping we do get rain today as it's a 36% chance to happen to happen. Enjoy your days .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll pass on Barbie but I will see Oppenheimer. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I think both movies will be wait to experience at home movies for me. Oppenheimer is too long for my bladder at those prices. (That sounds terrible but true.) So glad you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun packed weekend, Billie Jo. Love hearing and seeing about your family. Oppenheimer is one I should go see, but unfortunately I lived through the duck and cover era and this movie would be a little too real for me. Enjoy your planning days for Flynn's schooling. Happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have OCD as well. It can be really hard, but has gotten better as I get older. Maybe by the time I die, it will be cured! You did the Barbieheimer double feature! The news says everyone is doing that! Don't know if such a thing has ever happened. I read that they tried to make Barbie for both kids and adults. Anyway, the girls are dying to see it, so we will be taking them next week. I printed your dessert recipe and will be making it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like it was a wonderful time with Friends! ;) And I'm so curious about both movies. Thanks for your input. I always love what someone else thinks too. It sure looks and sounds like you folks keep doing summer right! ☀️ Even if Fall is forever in our hearts behind the scenes...right? 🎃 Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great weekend! I've made that ice cream dessert before. It's so easy and looks pretty.
    I've never heard of creamed lettuce. It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard mixed things about the Barbie movie. Great pictures. Looks like overall, a good time had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh all that food looks so yummy! The creamed lettuce sounds interesting. My oldest son actually saw both those movies as well. He's supposed to be taking me to the Barbie movie but had a chance to go with a big group of friends over the weekend. He thought the movie was fun and funny. Of course, we're all different with different ideas and opinions :) what makes the world interesting. He also said Oppenheimer was great but that we'll have to see that one on our own (something about a couple scenes he didn't want to sit through with his parents ;) ). Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with good company, good food and lots of fun. I would like to see Oppenheimer but NOT Barbie. I've read too much about it and probably feel the same way as you do. A pity because I loved my Barbies and gave them to my granddaughter who plays with them now.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that you and Danielle had a fun time together!! I want to see "Oppenheimer", but not "Barbie". I've heard too much about the "agenda" in it. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I need some fried potatoes :) I love that all of you went to the movies together! As far as the Barbie movie...I would never pay to see it, but what makes me so mad about Hollywood (among other things) is that they know little girls will want to see it, but they put all the agendas and bleep a word and things that are clearly not for kids. Just another way for them to get to the kids, in my opinion.

    In other news, that meal you had looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see Oppenheimer. We are planning to go this weekend.
    Barbie? It is not a movie that is in the wheelhouse, though I loved playing with Barbies when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love seeing those happy faces...lucky them, lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a full and wonderful week! Peter saw both movies and loved Oppenheimer and said Barbie was good as well - just pushed the feminist point a little too hard. Sarah enjoyed Barbie and she said her boyfriend did too - I need to ask him though if he *really* enjoyed it or was just being nice. :) I doubt Dan and I will see either one although based on Peter's excitement about Oppenheimer if we ever saw one, I guess it would be that one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had the best weekend! Steve's dinner was so good! I'm still thinking about it. As was Peyton's desserts! As usual you spoiled us! Miss you all and can't wait to see you again! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Movie night sounds fun. Theatre popcorn is the best. Oh, I loved Barbies growing up, and my girls and grandgirls love them too. I want to see the movie, but I heard mixed things about it as well. The dolls growing up as kids were part of our imagination, with the accessories and clothes, and good clean fun. So, that's how I'll always think of Barbie. I love how Madison wore Pink to the movie. The creamed lettuce sounds Yummy, and all the food looks wonderful. I hope Flynn has a good school year. I bet that is an exciting time for you planning the school lessons. Have a good rest of the week, Billie Jo. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw Barbie today and definitely agree. I had read many reviews beforehand and knew what to expect. I'm sick of Hollywood pushing political agendas and I think they could have done so much better with Barbie. My son wants to see Oppenheimer but I read a review that there were a few sex scenes and my husband and I both do not allow our children to watch things like that (even though my parents didn't care about me seeing it as a kid). Did you notice that in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awe sounds like you had a wonderful visit with Danielle & her family. We watched Barbie too, even made bracelets it was a fun time. ~Row.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo