When it snows on the first day of December, and it is cozy as can be, one must bake a simple cake to celebrate, don't you think? Or in my case, enjoy a slice that your daughter so lovingly prepared. Although I shared this "Manger Cake" a few times before, I am sharing it again in case you missed it. We call it Manger Cake because the graham crackers remind us of the hay in the manger.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped very fine walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously grease 9x13 inch pan.
- Melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Melt butter, then stir in graham cracker crumbs. Let cool.
- In a larger bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, soda, vanilla, shortening, buttermilk, eggs, and melted chocolate.
- Blend at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes on medium.
- Pour into a prepared pan.
- Add walnuts and remaining chocolate chips to cooled crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool, and serve with whipped cream.
Have a lovely day, my friends!
Thanks for visiting.