May 20, 2023

Celebrating My Son



Twenty-one years ago. Someone should warn you when you snuggle your newborn baby that time passes in the blink of an eye. Oh, wait. Many people did. And I heard them, but in the moment, I could not imagine the sweet-smelling little bundle being anything other than a brand new addition to our little family. This time wrapped up in blue.


This is his first birthday party. He and Peyton celebrated together as she turned three a few days later. I remember this day so clearly! I remember it was a Bear in the Big Blue House party, and Peyton liked to plop the plastic Bear into different places on the cake. I remember also it was that night that I truly realized we had a little boy in our family! He always played with the baby toys we had. But he received lots of bright yellow Tonka trucks, Old Navy baseball hats, and Dump Truck Dave videos for his birthday, which now fit into our family room right next to the Barbie houses and dolls.

Rhett turns twenty-one today, and I could not be happier that my one and only little boy grew to be the fantastic young man he is today. Rhett is funny, sensitive, hardworking, caring, a wonderful son, and the best brother ever. Rhett organizes family movie nights, calls to thank me for his lunch, takes Flynn to Taco Bell, and brings joy to all our days. He works very hard. He makes us all laugh. He likes professional basketball, selling cars, good food, and spending time with his family and friends. He also has the most lovely, kind, fun girlfriend, Kyrstin, whom our whole family loves. 



Rhett has grown from that adorable little guy who looked to me for guidance, help, comfort, and love to a wonderful young man whom I turn to for those very same things. I couldn't have known that day twenty-one years ago when my doctor surprised us all by saying, " Oh! It is a boy!" that my little baby boy would become one of my very best friends. Who just so happens to look so very much like my dear father.



We are leaving today on vacation to celebrate Rhett, so I will be absent from blogland this week, but I will be back next week to catch up with you all! Have a wonderful week, my friends. Enjoy!

Billie Jo








 

21 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful week with your son. He sounds a lot like my Ryan and, truly, what a blessing to have a son like that. You are right- time passes in the blink of an eye--from baby boy to grown man. Happy Birthday, Rhett! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Where has the time gone, Billie Jo? Wishing Rhett, a beautiful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Rhett! What a blessing to have a son like him. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweet son is such a blessing! Happy Birthday to your Rhett! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Rhett! He sounds like a wonderful blessing to your family. I agree. The babies grow so fast. My baby boy is now 34! How did that happen? And he's the youngest of four! Have a wonderful vacation.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's our sons birthday today too! He's 35! Time does fly.
    Happy vacation. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very Happy Birthday to Rhett. And have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I LOVE the photos, a happy birthday indeed! And what a beautiful family...celebrate Mom too... you are Wonder Woman! As the saying goes, motherhood is not for the faint of heart, but you have succeeded beautifully and are inspiring me each time I stop by! Have a great time together, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your son! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your week and Happy Birthday Rhett!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 21st Birthday Rhett! Wow! He is truly one of the most thoughtful people I've ever met. (and Kyrstin is just awesome too!!) I hope you all have an amazing time on vacation celebrating! Enjoy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I panicked and thought for a minute you had become a grandma and had kept if secret!!!!! Bad, bad, bad Billie Jo, but then realized it was Rhett's birthday which is still nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Rhett! Enjoy your time away. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to Rhett! 🎂 Have a wonderful week ahead! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Rhett! He sounds like a wonderful son and young man. I hope his birthday was filled with all the things he loves. After having two girls, I remember those words well, "it's a boy!" A mother son relationship is special, indeed. Have a great time celebrating Rhett, Billie Jo.

    ~Sheri

    ps.....Taco Bell, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to Rhett! Time does pass so quickly, doesn't it? Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Brett! I hope you all enjoy your week's vacation. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, he was the cutest! It's no accident that he grew up to be kind and sensitive and thankful, with you for a mama, and having his sisters, and obviously a kind daddy too. Excellent work:), and oh my, the time does fly. They tell you and tell you, but it doesn't seem possible that it can go by so quickly. A really old lady in the grocery store stopped to admire Kathryn's little ones, patted her on the shoulder and said, "Enjoy the days, honey, because it flies by." Have a really nice vacation, I know you will!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday to your son Rhett. Named after the movie GWTW? Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you enjoyed your week off! The 21st is a great day for a son to have a birthday (mine turned 22 last Sunday ;)) Happy belated birthday to your son. Hope this new week is off to a great start for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo