August 5, 2013

A Favorite Summertime Meal

This is one of our very favorite meals every summer. It is not fancy. At all. But boy is it good. It is a simple steak, creamed lettuce over fried potatoes, and sweet corn. Every fall we buy half a cow and surprisingly, the last things we use are the steaks. I guess we are more of a hamburger on the grill kind of family. But anyway...the creamed lettuce is a delicious recipe Steve's mom always made this during the summer. I remember standing in her kitchen back while I was dating Steve watching her mix it up. I can't duplicate it yet, but Steve sure can!

If you want to try it...it is real easy. We use garden lettuce. Then mix up mayo or Miracle Whip. I even use Miracle Whip Light. No real measurements, just dump some in a bowl. Add some regular vinegar...less than the mayo...enough to thin it out to make it pourable, but not watery! Chop up some green onions and toss well. Then put this in the refrigerator while you boil some small red potatoes. Boil them till almost done, then cut them in half and fry until crispy. Put the potatoes on your plate and top with the creamed lettuce. That's it! It is soooo good!

Add some locally grown sweet corn and you have an awesome summertime meal. Oh and it wouldn't be complete without an awesome slice of blueberry pie, right? Thanks to my Bloggy friend Patty, I now have this Creamy Blueberry Pie. You must try it! So there you have it...one of our favorite summertime meals. I would love to hear about yours!





11 comments:

  1. Oh my yum! Your blog always makes me hungry! Stupid question, what kind of meat do I buy for streaks on the grill? I get intimidated at the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Sirloin strips which are pricy-er (however you spell that), but SO good. Go to BJ's they're cheaper (and better) there and we always use the Adolph's Meat Marinade (our favorite) but it's usually at Shaw's and you and I know that they're going gonners, so it might be tough to find.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll invite myself over for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. It sounds simple, yet delicious. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nom nom nom

    drooling on the computer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! That sounds delicious and perfectly summer-y! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always buy 1/2 a cow and the same thing happens...we have a freezer full of steaks!! (I don't like steak, hubby does though)

    That salad looks delicious! (I love salads)
    My mom used to make a dressing using mayo and kechup...that's it, and it was soo good (as a kid)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh... I don't know if we even have that option here! ha!

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a wonderful Sunday summer dinner.
    You pie looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo