September 2, 2022

Wrapping Up The Week

 Hello, my friends! Labor Day Weekend is here! For some, it means the end of summer. For others, the beginning of fall. Whatever September is for you, I encourage you to embrace this transitional month with all the cozy you can. September is many things, among them a respite from the many summer activities we love, as well as a deep breath of calm before we are immersed in celebrations from October through January. September isn't pumpkins, turkeys, gifts, or noisemakers. Although I, of course, love all those things. September just is. And I am here for it. And so is Mocha.

The past week went quickly, as they seem to do. I caught up on a long to-do list and crossed off several things, like getting my driver's license renewed and mailing out a few packages. The highlight of my week was a truly happy visit with my mom. 

Madison and I spent time with my mom one day this week, and I want to remember every moment. Since moving her to this new assisted living facility, she has flourished! The love, care, and stimulation have seemed to slow the progression of her Alzheimers and have vastly increased her peace and happiness. She is living. She does not merely exist as she did before. A lesson to be shared? Advocate for your loved ones. Don't assume that because someone tells you something, it is true. Ask questions. Get answers. And act upon them. I am thankful every day that we did and that God led us to her new home, where she gets the care and love she deserves.


Madison and my mom played a memory card game I had made for her. You upload photos, and they are printed on cards for a memory game. My mom loves it! Seeing her recognize our family members and try to match them is so fun. 


I also brought in some new clothes to supplement her wardrobe for fall. She loves these comfy two-piece outfits, which are easy for her to get into with minimal help. My sister got her a couple pairs of jeans like these, and Mom loves them!


My Madison and my mom. My mom was there the day she was born, and they have been together ever since. My mom cared for Madison; now, Madison can do the same for her. What a blessing, right?! 

Well, that is all for now. I could write more, but I am starving, so I need to get up and get some Pepperidge Farm Pumpkin Spice Swirl Toast and a cup of coffee. Or two. Have a wonderful long weekend, my friends! Enjoy!

Billie Jo

24 comments:

  1. I'm not crying at the idea of Madison and your mom being together from birth, and now Madison will take care of her. It's clearly the high pollen count. So wonderfully blessed! Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me happy for you that you have more time with your mom, and made me tear up that I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear your Mom is doing well, Billie Jo. It's so nice you got her some new clothes, and that memory game is wonderful. What a great idea. The pictures of you and Madison and your Mom are treasures. Enjoy your coffee this morning, and I will have to try that pumpkin spice swirl toast! : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to start dressing like your mom now, looks comfy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your mom is doing so well! Here September is the start of football and marching band season. Hope you have a fantastic Labor Day weekend. And pumpkin spice swirl toast sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your mom is doing so well. She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom looks fantastic, there is a light in her eyes, and God bless you for advocating for her and being there for her. The photo card game is genius. Pumpkin spice swirl toast: mmm!
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can see the love and happiness on your Mom's face. She absolutely glows as you all do. September to me is also the month to ease slowly into what I refer to as my 'holiday season' which is October thru January. It's my most favorite time of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy you found a good place for your mom that truly takes good care of her. I can tell you from working in memory care units that what they tell the family and what really happens when they aren't there is often two entirely different things. It definitely pays to advocate and if you don't get satisfaction from a facility concerning failings...report it to the state! Sadly, nursing homes are businesses and most would prefer to sweep problems under the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this so much - gets me emotional. It's so wonderful how your Mom is thriving again! I hope you have a blessed long weekend too. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  11. A change seems to make all the difference in the world. You look so much like your Mom. Sweet picture of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's wonderful your mom is thriving! And I love the idea of the memory game! But what a blessing your daughter is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post makes my heart happy! I worked for years as the unit manager of a long term care/skilled nursing centers. I loved my residents and their families and I'm so glad you mom is flourishing. Your game is such a great idea!
    Madison is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Billie Jo. What a blessing that your mom is doing well. So glad you and your daughter could spend time with her this past week. I love that memory game. What a great idea! Amen about advocating for loved ones. That is so important. Have a good Labor Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved your transitional post… maybe most of all was the memory your post brought to me regarding me and my own mother during her transition from home to a senior facility. I too, bought her clothing to supplement her seasonal wardrobe, which was a bit difficult because she keep losing so much weight. As an only child I spent some part of every day with her for those 3 years and even though it was difficult to see her waste away, it was a pivotal season if my life! So hard to eventually give her up. I only wish my daughter could have lived close by ! Momma loved her so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you're mom is enjoying her new place to be in. As I was reading this post, I remember buying my mom some clothes since she lived in a nursing home for 6 or 7 years before she died there in 2014. Mostly good workers there and good food. I'm off work today but will be working on Monday for 4 hours at Panera. Busy on Friday and sure thru Monday. It's labor day weekend and being by outlet mall and freeway gets it Busy. 🙃 we survive though and hopefully the kiosks won't quit working either. Have a blessed weekend. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awe I love the picture of you with your mom - pure happiness indeed. I'm happy to hear she is doing well. We are taking it easy this long weekend after a very busy week. I've had issues with my sciatica and inflammation which has affected my lower back, hip and leg off and on most of the summer. I decided to give Rosie a bath in the tub last Sunday (bad idea) and that really set it off so I gave in and went to see a chiropractor for the first time on Wednesday and Friday and I go back again on Tuesday. After two sessions, I'm definitely seeing improvement and getting relief so that's good news. Hope you are having a nice weekend! We are gearing up for the first day of school on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely post. Your mum looks so happy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post, Billie Jo. Your love, care, and concern for your mom.......

    My own mom had Alzheimer's. God bless you and your family.
    Mary S.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful post. You are all blessing one another <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. So wonderful to hear about your Mom and see her with you and your daughter! Love the month of September too -- enough warm days and enough cool days to enjoy! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's amazing how we go from having our mothers care for us to us caring for our mothers. I'm glad you were able to find a great place for her. My mother still is home with my dad but as my mother's Alzheimer's progresses it's only a matter of time before the only possible solution is to get her in a home. Your blog is always so comforting. You know how to make each transition into the new season sound wonderful. I love the fall but I'll miss the summer. Hope you have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mom looks like a precious, precious woman. I am so glad she is in a great place and being well taken care of. Those memory cards are absolutely genius! Hope you all enjoyed your Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. She looks so very happy!! What a blessing that you were her advocate!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo