September 21, 2022

Just A Thought On A Wednesday

 


So, it's here! The days I wait for all year long. The cooler, colorful, cozy days of autumn have arrived! Yesterday, I was washing dishes and looking out the window where all summer long, I see the neighbor kids playing, boats on the lake, and green on the trees. This time, when I looked out, I saw the empty trampoline in the neighbor's yard, the still lake with only ducks silently paddling, and the first glimpse of red, orange, and yellow replacing the bright green of the leaves. 

I realized that I need to appreciate these days because they are fleeting. I also realized that although I enjoy scrolling through Pinterest for ideas and inspiration for autumn activities, and I love looking through magazines and websites for the latest, greatest cozy autumn decor, I don't need to. I could keep buying more ceramic pumpkins and Halloween-themed placemats. I could make fall bucket lists of everything from painting pine cones to organizing a neighborhood scavenger hunt or chili cookoff. If that is your thing, that yes. Embrace it! If, like me, it isn't and you feel like it should be, ask yourself this.  Am I really enjoying this lovely time of year? Or am I spending my time trying to imitate someone else by creating an image that isn't me? Lately, I feel the need to stop comparing myself and my home to Instagram influencers and Pottery Barn catalogs and just BE.

My home may not look like a spread from a magazine. But should it? Those photos in catalogs and magazines are taken months in advance, carefully curated to appear perfectly perfect, and showcase items they want readers to think they must have to be happy. I would much rather live in the moment with the pop-up ghost that Madison played with on her first Halloween and the not-so-gently loved pumpkin from Ames that has rested on our fireplace hearth for years and years. I would rather flop on the couch with my family and watch Halloweentown yet again, enjoying some boxed brownies with Halloween sprinkles, than create a themed viewing party with coordinated food items.

We do celebrate holidays. I do splurge on things from time to time. But I am starting to remind myself that enough is enough. The pressure and noise of the outside world telling me what "popular" is and what is "out" for the season is just that. Pressure. I remind myself that peace and happiness are found from within. Not from the inside of yet another package on the doorstep. I'm sure my husband would agree. : )


Happy Wednesday in September!
Thanks for visiting!

Billie Jo





21 comments:

  1. I haven't been on Pinterest in years for this very reason. I don't need anyone telling me what I need or should have. I'm happy with my life and home the way it is. Yes, I decorate for all of the seasons and occasionally buy something new but I don't feel the need to have the 'latest' greatest things. Hanging my kitchen witch on the cabinet that I've had for over 20 years means more to me. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I'm all about the simple things in life. I've always been a "less is more" type of person and it sounds like you are, as well. Enjoy your day, dear friend. Stay cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, and I absolutely agree. I'm really coming back around to appreciating the smaller things, the things I already have, and learning how to be present and live in the moment again. There were a lot of years that I was just lost in the rush of trying to keep up with the social media world. And it cracks me up (and kinda makes me mad) how so-called influencers try to live in a camera-ready bubble. I mean, come on... trying to arrange an over priced seasonal throw blanket just so on the corner of the couch, just wrinkled enough to look used.... Or doing their makeup like it's a trip down the red carpet, with all the kids in carefully coordinated brand new outfits to go on a very staged trip to a pumpkin farm..... These people have almost become a parody of real life. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blessed to have realized this in your early 50's! It took me much longeršŸ¤”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you, Billie Jo! It is best to just be in the moment and enjoy the love God has given us. Thanks for this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Everything you said was so true, Billie Jo. There are so many creative ideas out there that it's hard to keep up, and I don't care to. I will just stick with what I have and get an occasional treat now and then for the house. And spending time with family, watching tv is such a joy. When I was in So Cal visiting, we watched The Haunted Mansion, and I don't know how many times we've watched that together. I think you'd like to watch it with Flynn, as you enjoy Halloween. When you talked about looking out the window and seeing the green leaves changing to Fall colors, I could just visualize it. You described it so well. And those ducks!

    Enjoy this Fall season, Billie Jo. It comes and goes way too quickly.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're feeling a bit of a fall-ish breeze today after hitting 103 yesterday! Loving the cool temps and leaves starting to turn. Enjoy every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right I think we are becoming a nation of over decorators. Although I love to decorate for the holidays. Just have to realize when enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I applaud you with much gusto, my friend! Life isn't meant to be about us comparing ourselves and trying to imitate the "in" thing...it's meant to be lived with full appreciation and gratitude for what we have been blessed with. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Billie Jo, you are a wise woman. A few years ago, my son-in-law told my daughter that, "It looks like fall threw up in her house." I was a tiny bit hurt, but it was so true. I overdid it, big time, way too many decorations, autumn flowers, candles, towels, he was so right. So I am trying to be more minimalist, not put everything out, and I am trying to avoid the Target Halloween section...so far I only bought two new glasses pumpkin jar candles...and a few throws...as far as keeping up with the "trends", it's such a racket...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is just what I needed today! I am not a great decorator and the older I get the more minimalistic I am. I might put out one or two holiday or seasonal items each year. Some years, not even that. It just starts to feel like clutter to me and that stresses me out. I do do a lot of little crafts with the kids. We love to paint ghosts and spiderwebs and that sort of thing. The artwork can be hung on the wall in the kitchen. I love kid art so that doesn't bother me. Anyway, my home certainly does NOT look like a magazine or a Pinterest post...for a while I did wish I could be a better homemaker....but I am learning to be content. My home is cozy and (mostly) clean and I love it. That is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! I completely agree and find I am much happier when I visit IG and YouTube in small doses. The decorating ideas can be inspiring, but I reach a point where I think if I hear them tell me about all of the things they bought at Hobby Lobby one more time I might scream. That's a sure sign that I need to get out of there and just BE. Wise words there, Billie Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree! This year I donated a trash sack full of fake leaves and flowers. Suddenly it was just too much, and I have more to thin out. You spoke wise words about enjoying the moment and not comparing to the perfect spreads - that's not real life! Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I purchase little now, groceries and replacement items of necessities basically. I have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are wise! I have some Fall decor that I put out, but it's not a lot and is easy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The older I get the more this is becoming more and more real to me. I used to go all out with the seasonal decor and now it's just a few things here and there that make me happy. And I don't mind at all. Less to dust and less to store and I'm more content.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! Enjoy life! I've never been one that tried to keep up with the best. Because I knew I never could. :) I hope you have a wonderful, fun-filled fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great thoughts and so TRUE! We need to just enjoy the moment! Thanks for this post! Enjoy your day dear friend, I am sure you will! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so true! We don't need that added pressure in our lives to feel like we have to "keep up" or have our homes constantly looking like a magazine spread. It's not real life. Enjoy the moment and just be. Time goes by way too fast to not stop and appreciate it. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with boxed brownie mix. Just saying! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Billie Jo~ I love your thoughts today...they are so true! I try to embrace every single day of Autumn, I try to feel the change that is happening not only in me, but in nature. I love that you have a little pop-up ghost that, Madison made and I love that you have an old, much loved pumpkin, that just made my heart smile! We are who we are and I love that! Happy Autumn, my friend!! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Autumn is my favorite season. That feeling of life settling into a gentle rhythm after the chaotic feel of summer. One of my life goals is to be more present.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo