April 3, 2023

Monday Morning Coffee Talk

Hello! Happy Monday of Holy Week, my friends. This past weekend proved to be about as full a weekend as we have had in quite some time. Let's begin way back on Friday night. We planned on attending a fish fry at a local parish, followed by cookie decorating at Peyton and Chris's house. I was still feeling the effects of the chest cold and opted to stay home and rest. I heated up some pierogies, took a long, hot shower, put on fresh pajamas, and snuggled on the couch. I was so glad that everyone else could go and that they kept me updated with pictures throughout the night. I was so happy to see our traditions continue and how much fun the kids have together. Peyton made the cookies and had everything ready for the decorating. She also made our favorite bunny cake!! And it was DELICIOUS! They brought me some home, thank goodness.

Saturday was windy, cold, and rainy, and Steve and I were still coughing. Although I wanted to attend Palm Sunday mass, I knew that had I been there and someone near me was hacking and coughing like we were, I would not have been thrilled. So we stayed home and planned on watching mass on television. What we didn't plan on was this.

Trees and power lines were down right outside our house. We lost power around 5:00 Saturday evening, so our night consisted of cozy and candles. Fortunately, we were able to watch a mass using data on our phones. The power came back on in the middle of the night, so by morning, some of the perishable things in the fridge were less than desirable. A positive to the entire thing was no one was hurt, and I took the opportunity to clean and scrub the refrigerator!

After the marathon clean-out the refrigerator session Sunday morning, Steve and the kids left for the Penguin game! Flynn is a huge fan and was so excited! 





They all had such a great time! Introvert women who like to stay home should indeed marry extrovert men. Just sayin. I stayed home, caught up on the laundry, had a wonderful phone call with my mom, and then headed to Madison and Nicolas' house for dinner. She had everything set beautifully and made a delicious and fresh lasagna soup! We visited and watched tv, and then Nicolas surprised me with a homemade chocolate lava cake he had made himself!



It was a wonderful ending to an eventful weekend. Before I go and start my day, I wanted to share this book with you. I received it in my book subscription box and finished it in two days! It is one of the best books I have read. It tells the story of the struggles of two young women in 1950s America, and it touched my heart.


Well, that was a lot! Thanks for hanging in there, my friends.
Have a wonderful day!

Billie Jo























21 comments:

  1. I am making that same bunny cake this weekend. My Mom always made it for me and I love it. Sorry you missed out on some of the activities but sounds like you had a cozy time at home. Glad you didn't have more damage from the storm than a power outage. The storms Friday night into Saturday were horrible. Wishing you a happy Holy Week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you are sick, I will keep you in my prayers. I am very thankful that you all were not hurt in the storms. It looks like you sure know how to turn lemons into lemonade. I love how you lit the cozy candles after you lost power. I think it is true that in just about every hardship we endure there is still some beauty that can come of it. I so enjoy seeing the photos of your beautiful family. God bless you all and happy almost Easter. Hugs to you my friend. ~Juli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you missed so much family time and actual mass but it sounds like you enjoyed your alone time, too. Crazy about the tree down and power loss. I hate when that happens.

    You have a beautiful family and I love how they interact!

    Enjoy your Easter season. God bless-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember my mom making that bunny cake! I still have the directions, I should make it for the grandkids. So glad you shared this! I love how your family continues traditions. That is such a compliment to the happy home and family you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Billie Jo. You always have such delightful family holiday celebrations. So glad you didn't have more storm damage and that power came back on, and you got the opportunity to clean out your fridge (I need to do that). It's nice that your husband took the kids to the Penguins Game. It looks like everyone had a nice time! I hope you are feeling better soon. I am going to have to see if our library has that book. You always give good book recommendations. I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and Steve can get rid of that cough. I love that picture of Flynn and Peyton - you can definitely tell that they are sisters! And Madison's bunny plate and bowl set is adorable! Happy Monday and I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup and cake look so good! I am sorry that you didn't make it to the Fish Fry, but Hurrah, you still got photos! You have a beautiful family! I love the bunny cake, it is so much more realistic looking then the white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that the tree didn't hurt any one. Scary. Sounds like you made the best of things and had a wonderful weekend in spite of the lingering sickness and the tree falling. Put your book recommendation on hold at the library. And I just have to ask, is that a can of Peeps Pepsi I spy in your fridge? We found some around here but I'm the only one who even liked it a little. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, much more eventful than you bargained for. So glad no one was hurt! That bunny cake brings back such memories. Annie and I used to make that too. Since she's grown and I'm now addicted to lemon bars at Easter (Lol) we don't make it anymore. Maybe when I hopefully have grandkids one day. 😉 That soup and lava cake looked amazing too!! Now I'm hungry. ha! I love how your kiddos and family love hanging out together. So jealous of the Pens game - how fun!!! Thanks for the book tip too. Blessings on your week and a lovely Easter ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are making cookies and a craft with the grandkids this week. Hope you have a great Holy Week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, your last few days have been full! Good things - yummy cake, oooh lasagna soup, cozy jammies, lava cake. Not good - power outages and that tree, so glad it missed your home, cars, etc. Hoping you feel better soon friend...curl up with another book and lots of TLC; light candles, snuggle Mocha, wrap up in a cozy blanket, sip steaming mugs of tea, watch a favorite movie, and nap! It's well known all those things will help you feel better sooner...well, at least according to "Dr. Mary!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure hate you had to miss out on the family night, but glad they brought you cake and kept you updated! 😊 Sure hope you are feeling better. And yikes on that tree coming down! I’m so glad y’all were ok. Although losing power is no fun when it lasts for awhile. I just enjoy your pictures so much and I’m definitely going to check out that book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was REALLY a lot! I'm sorry you had to miss both family night and mass in person but it sounds like you finished off with a great dinner. I enjoyed seeing the bunny cake and it sure brought back memories. Our middle child, our son Jamie, had his first birthday on Easter Sunday and I made him the same cake! He will be 40 years old on April 7 and has had a few Easter birthdays.
    I'm glad you're feeling better.
    Many blessings this Easter week.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad that you feeling better! What a eventful, yet fun, weekend. Sorry you missed much of it but it does sound like you made the best of it:) Homemade lava cake....that sounds amazing!! And those bunny plates and bowls are just the cutest! What fun your family has already had celebrating this special holiday! I did get some baskets put together today but, after seeing your photos, feel like I'm missing out on some fun!!:) And thanks for the book suggestion. I am needing a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear about your power outage. At least you were all okay and could stay safe at home.
    The bunny cake looks amazing! X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flynn always reminds me of myself, being the youngest of 4 and all ... but now we have something else in common. GO PENGUINS! I keep telling my husband I want to take a trip to Pittsburgh and see a game. We'll probably take a trip this summer just to see the city. Any fun places you recommend? The cookies and cake look delicious. Love how creative you and your family are By the way this is Dawn from Dawnmariewrites. I don't know why when I'm using my phone it won't show my name and won't allow me to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to giggle at the notion of introverted women marrying extroverted men :) That describes my husband and I perfectly! He's always ready for a crowd and I'm not :) And I have to commend your kids for serving such amazing dinners and desserts! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once our power came back on our fridge got a clean out too! Fortunately, almost everything that got thrown out was near its end anyway. :) This reminds me... I did have to throw out some chicken I had cooked the night before the lights went out. I'd cooked it with the intention of making chicken burritos with it. Now I want some burritos. I made that bunny cake for one of my first born's birthdays! Three of us born in April, each of us have had an Easter birthday at one time or another. I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope you have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Billie Jo, sorry you couldn't make some of the family functions, but that was smart of you to stay home if you were still not feeling well and coughing. I have to thank you for that, as so many just go out there when they're not yet well. When I went to pick up a pizza, the woman at the counter coughed and didn't even turn away, ugh. The lasagne soup sounds so delicious, especially in this cold weather. So sorry your power went out, that's never fun. Chocolate lava cake - how special of him to make that for you. The decorated Easter cookies are so delightful.....and that bunny cake! I love the look of all your candles all lit up, it's so pretty. Feel better, my friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo