August 21, 2023

Monday Morning Coffee

 

Good Monday morning! I couldn't wait another minute. I got a few of my fall mugs out of storage...aka the corner kitchen cupboard with a weird angle that makes it impossible to reach things in, so I keep lesser-used things in there... and I love my morning routine even more. One can not have too many fall and Halloween mugs, right?

I hope you had an enjoyable weekend, my friends. I say this every year, but it is hard to believe summer is almost over. Thinking back to that glorious last day of school as a child, leaving that bare classroom on an early afternoon in June, and saying goodbye to the friends you knew you wouldn't see for a while, summer seemed an eternity! Of course, we had three whole months of summer fun back then. And it made sense. June was the early part of summer. The weather was getting hot, the community pool was just opening, and the days stretched long and empty before us. July was an entire month of hot days at the pool and nights spent playing Ghosts in the Graveyard and Kickball with the neighbor kids after dinner until dark. August was much the same, with no thought of school until Mom took you to the mall or to Kmart for new school clothes and a pair of shoes. By the time Labor Day rolled around, we were ready to return to the squeaky-clean school and see the friends we hadn't seen in months. We couldn't wait to see who our teacher was and who was in our class and see the brand new tablet, pencil, and box of crayons on our desk. Oh, the good old days.





Our weekend was filled with fun, food, family, and friends. We visited with our friends Justin and Gina and their adorable baby Walter on Friday night! He is about 17 months old and is absolutely precious. He and I sat on the rocker on the porch, looking for deer while we waved at passing cars. I have the cutest picture of him but haven't asked their permission to share it here. It is clearly evident what a fantastic job they are doing with him, and we are so happy we could spend time with them, even doing something as simple as eating pizza and visiting with Toy Story on in the background.

Steve, Flynn, Peyton, and Chris went to Pittsburgh for the day on Saturday. They visited a science center and then attended the Steeler preseason game. They had a great time as evident from the photos they shared. Flynn was also happy to check a few things off her summer to-do list! Still left to be checked off? Completing a packet of math review pages and organizing her closet, but priorities. Right?!?

Although I planned on visiting my mom this weekend, I had several nice phone visits with her instead. She has good days and some not-so-good days, but even on those difficult days, she and I talk and laugh together. Alzheimer's Disease sucks. It really does. 



Rhett and I were on our own Saturday night, and my son made me one of the most delicious grilled cheese and soup meals ever! He made the sandwiches with Artisian Italian bread and put a little mayonnaise on them before he grilled them. Delicious!!!! We also watched some tv, and I once again thought how blessed I am with these children God gave me.


Sunday morning, I returned the favor with delicious waffles and fresh fruit. I made regular and pumpkin spice, and Steve cut some fresh peaches. So good.


Finally, Mocha is adapting to life without her best friend, as we all are. She likes snuggling on this beautiful blanket some dear friends gifted us. It is so soft and is covered in precious pictures of Kirby. I cannot tell you how much their thoughtfulness meant to us all.

This week I have a therapy appointment and an appointment with the psychiatrist I see for my OCD. There was a time when I hesitated to share a sentence like that. That day is long gone! The stigma of mental health issues must be challenged so that more people suffering in silence feel empowered to share their struggles and get the necessary help. Hiding OCD is exhausting and so very difficult. Treatment with a psychiatrist and through medication can and will change the life of someone suffering from OCD. I am proof of that.

In lighter news, the Bachelorette Finale is tonight! However, I will avoid any mention of it until I watch it Wednesday night. My best friend Heather is coming to watch it with us and can only come then due to work. We have watched this show together for years, and I look forward to seeing which man Charity chooses to spend the rest of her life with, despite only knowing him for six weeks and the fact that she is possibly in love with two other men. Quality television right there, friends!

Well, Mocha needs a bath desperately. And I need to get ready for the day. Have a wonderful Monday, and thanks for visiting!

BillieJo

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend. Mayo on the bread for grilled sandwiches is the BOMB!! We received a blanket just like that when Jet passed away and we truly love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, tell Rhett to try a little dijon mustard on the bread instead of mayo. So much flavor!!! YUM!! And Flynn, definitely has her priorities straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes courage to talk about your health. I applaud you, a miraculous young woman. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh that sounds like a good sandwich. And I think Flynn's priorities make complete sense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful weekend. Your family does so much together and I love it! You're right. Alzheimers definitely sucks. My dear MIL has it. I just spent the morning and early afternoon with her. Part of it was buying new shoes for her poor diabletic feet. It was very stressful. She's very particular about her looks and clothing. We looked at dozens of shoes. The salesman was so patient with her. She couldn't remember which shoes she had tried on and put the same ones on over and over again because she couldn't remember if she liked them. This is just one small example of life as you are probably well aware.
    Take care and have a wonderful Monday.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds (and looks) like a nice weekend. Mocha looks so cute sitting on that big chair.
    You are right about Alzheimer's. It does suck big time. I started my blog as a diversion for myself when my mom was in the thick of it. It was so sad to watch. Blogging was a way to have a reprieve from reality at that time. Along the way I encountered many others who were going through it with a loved one and it was a much needed support group at the time. I am sorry that your dear mother is going through this.
    I am also sorry that you are dealing with OCD, but applaud you for sharing. I hope we see a day where the stigma surrounding mental illness is a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally said out loud "oh yay!" when I saw your mug! Lol Looks and sounds like a wonderful weekend had by all. Sweet Mocha looks happy and so loved. I loved the nostalgia about old school days and I relate so well in every way! You nailed it right on the head there. ๐Ÿ˜Š And I adore you for sharing your OCD struggles and educating about stigmas and taking care of oneself as a top priority. ๐Ÿ’•
    PS: It has been gray and chilly here all day. I've had the windows open. Geese have already been flying and I recently picked up some Fall soap at Bath & Body. It is practically here!!! ๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And could not agree more about Alzheimers truly sucking. You know my heart feels it with you dear Friend, right? Biggest hugs ๐Ÿค— (and to your sweet Mama too). xoxo

      Delete
  8. Ah, those waffles look delicious! Sounds like you had a great weekend. Here's to a beautiful week ahead! Maybe with more waffles:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Billie Jo. I love grilled cheese sandwiches, so I am going to try the mayonnaise before grilling! Thanks for sharing that idea. Thanks for sharing your journey with your mom's Alzheimer's diagnosis and your OCD. As I have shared before, I deal with anxiety and depression, and while I have made a lot of progress, I continue to meet regularly with a good therapist, so I can keep moving forward. That Steelers football game looks like a lot of fun! Glad you had a nice weekend. Enjoy the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yesss, Steelers!!!
    I used to sing old hymns with my mom on the phone. She had dementia. Maybe your mom would like to sing with you.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Oops, I forgot to sign. That was me, Jo, loyal Steelers fan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The days of stigma regarding mental health are slowly becoming a thing of the past! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter sent me photos. She decorated for fall this past weekend! I'm holding out a little longer. We need to see some days under 100 first! The middle of the country is suffering with heat right now.

    You described my childhood summers perfectly. Add lots of bike riding, tag, and catching grasshoppers, and it it would be just right. You've inspired me to write a blog post about my childhood summers.

    Be blessed with good ac and a good week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got your Fall coffee cups out! I want to do that soon, and have already put a few things out. I LOVE your pumpkin cup, it's so cute. It's nice that you spent some time with Rhett, and that meal of grilled cheese and soup he made looks delicious. And your waffles look wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen the pumpkin spice ones. But they always go fast around here. I loved hearing about your school days, Billie Jo. And I hope Flynn has the best school year. This is such a cute picture of her at the Steeler's game.

    Enjoy the rest of the Summer, and looking forward to seeing all things Fall on your blog in the days ahead. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that looks like one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I think I've ever seen - and now I want one! It was 94 degrees today, but I'm craving cozy soups and grilled cheese sandwiches. We actually went for lunch at a Thai restaurant today and I had curry and it was so good. I going to meal plan and make a grocery list tomorrow and was thinking I'd get the ingredients to make creamy tomato soup and grilled cheddar cheese sandwiches - the perfect combo!

    My grandmother has Alzheimers and I can say that it does truly suck. Thinking of you dear friend and your sweet mother.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always think of you whenever I see autumn decorations in the stores. X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo