October 7, 2024

Monday Morning Coffee

( Google )

Good Morning, my friends! Here we are, beginning the second week of October, and with apologies for sounding redundant, I feel the days passing faster and faster. It was just July, and I was beginning to get the first glimpse of an inkling that it may be time to start thinking about autumn. Now we are smack dab in the middle of this cozy, pumpkin-spiced, changing leaves, spooky movie, cooler weather season, and I remind myself to slow down and enjoy. I recognize that I need to let go of the pressure to recreate or match the Octobers of the past. I often measure my seasons against the previous ones and struggle to fit in all the traditions as if time stood still. Note to self: Stop doing that. Watch as many favorite movies as you choose, and may I suggest Halloweentown and The Wolfman? Sit on the porch during a sunny afternoon and watch the leaves slowly float to the ground. Get cozy inside during the early evening with fairy lights and a Jack-o-lantern to keep you company. Lastly, while I commit to staying in the present and appreciating every bit of October magic I can, I also admit that I need to look ahead to the festive months of November and December that arrive at the stroke of midnight Halloween night. Therefore, I am jotting down ideas for decorations and presents in my little red notebook, decorated with Santa Claus and candy cane stickers. 

What did the first weekend of October look like around her? It was quiet and cozy and sunny and pleasant. There were errands, pizza, naps, laundry, church, phone visits, and movies before bed. 



And visitors during morning coffee,


Blooming mums in pretty colors,


And a precious pup finding every ray of sunshine she can. And there was this photo my sister sent me of my beautiful momma sitting outside waiting to watch the Homecoming Parade in my hometown. This picture brought happy tears to my eyes. She is so beautiful, inside and out. Margie told me she loved the parade, especially the band, and was clapping along! This has always been my prayer for her, peace and happiness because that is what she brought to me every single day of my life. Every time I marched in the Homecoming parade, she made sure my uniform was clean and my majorette boots were as white as possible. (Remember the bottles of white shoe polish we all had to cover those black scuff marks?? ) Mom always opened our home to my friends afterward. She made hot chocolate on the stove and toast with melted butter to warm us up. She made my life happy. And I pray I am doing the same for her.


Have a lovely Monday, my friends. Prayers for everyone dealing with the remnants of the hurricane and those in the path of the new one this week. 

Billie Jo















3 comments:

  1. Aww...she is so sweet. Maybe you can watch it with her next year. prayers for us...Milton coming, and we re in direct path. hotels...don't ask...prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely picture of your mama in her red sweater. I'm so glad she enjoyed the parade passing by. Great memories of when you marched in the parade and your mom making sure your uniform was just right for your special day. The Mums are so pretty. They just say Fall to me. And that red cardinal! The little ghost drinking the hot drink is too funny.

    Have a blessed week, Billie Jo.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking the time to enjoy each day is important for each of us. Blessings to you this week, Billie Jo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo