August 15, 2023

The Feast Of The Assumption Of Mary

 


Good morning, my friends. Today is a very special day in the Catholic Faith ~ The Feast of the Assumption of Mary. I  look forward to this day every year. A priest many years ago said in his homily that on this day, we can bring our special requests to Mary and ask that she intercede for us. Over the years, I have done just that and received many blessings. The prayer is one I cut from a church bulletin many years ago and keep in my prayer book. 

And my prayer book? It is very special to me, as it was part of a three-book set my parents received as a wedding gift in 1956. It has been a constant in my life, from college student to young wife and teacher, from mother of littles to mother of not-so-littles. My mom even had it rebound for me when it started to fall apart from so much use. 

Today, I will open it and pray for my special intentions. We will attend mass and even go to dinner because if I am out and about, I might as well, right?!

Have a lovely day!

BillieJo




10 comments:

  1. What a special treasure to have passed down to you from your Mom. I know it brings you great comfort and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not familiar with this occasion (we are Mennonites). I am going to look it up on Google and learn about it!! Will there be anything special at the service, making it different?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you have a meal at church? Will it be carry-in? Do you believe that Mary died before the assumption?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Billie Jo, thank you so much for reminding me of this special day. Mary is so dear to me, and I remember her birthday always, but I'm so glad that I was reminded of this day. Your prayer book is beautiful, and I love the hard cover. I'm sure it has brought you comfort through the years. Thank you again, my friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful prayer book and having it passed down from your mom must make it so special. Hope your day is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Mass this morning. Any Marian feast where I get to sing Immaculate Mary is my favorite, but this one is my most favorite. Our anniversary was yesterday, which on the eve meant we had Marian vestments even at our wedding! Enjoy your dinner! I will say a prayer for your family today and ask our Blessed Mother to hold your intentions dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this important and special day for Catholics. I love your example of living and sharing your faith. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of this so much and did my prayers to her too. šŸ™ šŸ’•

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo