January 27, 2023

The Rhythm Of Our Days


Good morning, my friends. Happy Friday! I am cozy on the couch, coffee in hand, thinking about how the rhythm of my days has changed over the years and, at the same time, stayed the same. The other day, I made my 53-year-old self a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and as I was cutting it, I thought about how I used to make and cut the same sandwiches for little ones waiting at the kitchen table. I put those little triangles on plastic plates, along with sliced strawberries and some pieces of chocolate. 

The littles would talk and giggle as I cleaned up the kitchen, and then we would cuddle on the couch for Blue's Clues or Little Bear. Naptime was next, and after tiptoeing downstairs, I put the kettle on and made myself a cup of General Foods International Vanilla Coffee. I no longer tuck little ones in for afternoon naps, but I still enjoy that same cup of coffee most every afternoon. (Although now it is called Maxwell House International Coffee.) These days I heat the electric kettle and stir my coffee after Flynn and I finish homeschooling and while she is off practicing her piano or listening to music. 

I used to pick up the family room before Steve came home for dinner, putting wooden blocks in tubs and organizing barbies and babies. I don't have those toys scattered around anymore, but I still tidy the family room before Steve comes home after work. Now I fold throw blankets and pick up squeaky dog toys. I switch on lamps in the early evening darkness. Instead of Max and Ruby or Paw Patrol on the television, I find a peaceful piano video on YouTube to listen to as I prepare dinner. 

And after dinner, as I wipe the counter and turn off the light, I still enjoy the ways we spend time together as a family. We used to play Strawberry Shortcake Memory or Chutes and Ladders. We sometimes watched Wheel of Fortune and ate bowls of ice cream with chocolate syrup. Now, we play cards and trivia. We watch movies and Netflix shows. And we still eat ice cream sometimes too.

I am comforted in the knowledge that although the details of my homemaking days evolve and change, their rhythm stays the same. As a young mom spending days at home surrounded by all things childhood, I couldn't imagine what I would do when my littles grew. Now I know. I may not be surrounded by childhood anymore, but I am surrounded by children; even at 26, 22, 20, and 13 years of age, they will always be my children, and the rhythm of our days will never really change.


Have a wonderful weekend!
Thanks for visiting.

Billie Jo





19 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts this morning, Billie Jo. Time sure does have a way of changing things, but so nice to still enjoy family time in new ways. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely thoughts! It's comforting to have some things that are familiar and steady in life.
    I have to admit my (our) rhythm has changed a lot over the years and is still changing. We're not the most steady people. But I do find peace in the (very) few things that didn't change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. It brings back so many memories of my time homeschooling my boys. I wouldn't trade one single day of those years. My rhythms have changed a bit, but many things have stayed the same. I still like to do all the busy work or errands in the morning and save the afternoons for coffee, a show, reading and all the slow things. I still get up early to write and read my bible. Now I'm in the season of life where I'm figuring out how to use my time, now that my nest is empty. I never take the privilege of being at home, for granted. This post reminds me of the stories in your book. I just about cry on every one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandchildren with add another beat…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Billie Jo - I love this post. As the scripture says, "to everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven." Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Billie Jo~ Oh, what sweet memories. Isn't it funny how those memories are so vivid after years of not having those little ones around?! I still have sweet memories of my children when they were little, even though my oldest is almost 48 years old. I still remember so many of the sweet moments we would share together. Thank you for taking me down memory lane. Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post! Made me realize how much I was missing some of my old rhythms. I should see how I can add some back in. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a beautiful way with words. The way you take the changes of life and make them sound so sweet. I wish I could do that. I love my kids as they are now but I miss when they were little. I'm struggling with the changes. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww Billie Jo! This is beautiful! My kids are grown and I see the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that thought....the rhythm stays the same. The details might change (squeaky dog toys for blocks and barbies - precious!) but so much remains the same. What a wonderful comfort that is. This was such a sweet post. I so enjoyed it this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, our children will always be our children. My kids are 42, 38, 33. TIme flies and that is why we like to spend the time with them. Yes, the house gets messy, but it is lived in and they know how to pick up after themselves. Enjoy your coffee and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading this makes me think of that saying about the days being long and the years being short. Hope you are in the middle of a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading this makes me think of how my routine as evolved. Part of my routine is making my bed in the morning and tidying my room before I got to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the sweet memories...my son just reminded me one of our favorite shows premiered 25 years ago (Zoboomafoo). We always loved it along with Between the Lions. It made my heart happy when he said recently, "We'll have to watch those again for fun." Still struggling with these changes... The local schools had two snow days this week, and I made cinnamon rolls like I always did when the kids were in school...a habit of so many years. So glad to have you talk about your days, it helps me to know I'm not the only one who looks back fondly, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely memories of years ago when your children were young. I remember some of mine. I've been a bit lazy at times and forget what I'm making for dinner. Our adult daughter lives with us as she has not enough money to buy a house or rent an apartment. She's helpful most days. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy, do I remember international coffees ;) my sister and I loved them in the 70s. I found a copycat version on-line and made café Vienna. It was yummy! ( I’ve not been able to find the real deal locally.)
    It’s the little things, as we say.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you are enjoying this season. I'm still trying to find my groove but I know I'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could not love - or relate to a post more. Thanks for sharing so beautifully the kinds of memories that live in my heart too. I miss them. But yes, a lovely rhythm still remains.
    Is it dusty in here? Why are my eyes watering? 😉

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, at 4 or 40, they will always be our children. I still find myself giving advice to my 30 year-old son, who takes it. haha. And I find myself learning from him as well. It's just a beautiful circle of life. :

    Oh, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich story was sweet. I still make them for myself every now and then. : ) I appreciate your words and your memories on this post today, Billie Jo.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo