July 15, 2022

Ordinary Days Of Summer

Hello there! Happy Friday. Just a few photos to share today. This week has been refreshingly ordinary. When my children were young, and our days were much more scheduled according to naps, walks, and meals, I took ordinary for granted. Maybe because I loved it so. Every day was very much the same, and life existed within the walls of our cozy home. 

Thankfully, I still have two of my four living at home, but as they get older, we have less structure and more spontaneity. Not a bad thing, of course! Instead, something different I am learning to embrace. How many will be here for dinner? Does Flynn have tennis? When does Rhett work late? Who has appointments this week? These are things that add variety to our days. And so, when we have a week with nothing much on the calendar, I appreciate it a bit more. This was one of those weeks.



Our favorite neighbors wandered over for a visit.


We took a moonlit boat ride on a lake that was as smooth as glass and as quiet as can be.


And I made a fresh, delicious quick meal with veggies from the produce stand. ~If you are curious, it is spaghetti squash with homemade sauce and zucchini sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Madison taught me how to cook spaghetti squash. Cut it in half lengthwise, but be careful! It is like carving a pumpkin! Scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with avocado oil, and sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on top. I threw some herbs from my pots in, too...basil, rosemary, and parsley. Put on a baking sheet, flesh sides down. Poke some holes in it with a fork, and bake at 420 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. When it is done, let it cool, then take a fork and start shredding the insides. It will look like thin pasta!~

I made some quick sauce with olive oil, garlic, and chopped onions. I added a big can of crushed tomatoes, some tomato paste, fresh herbs, and some sugar to taste. Once that got simmering, I sliced a zucchini I had right into the sauce. That simmered until the zucchini was soft, and our house smelled amazing! Then I topped the spaghetti squash with some sauce and cheese. Easy and delicious!

Well, I suppose I need to go start my day. Tonight Peyton and Chris are coming over for a boat ride and a fire. We are planning on hotdogs and smores! I will work on my scrapbooking, visit my momma, and relax for the remainder of the weekend. How about you, my friends?

Whatever you are up to, enjoy!

Billie Jo

14 comments:

  1. That boat ride looks like so much fun.
    I like ordinary days myself. I love spaghetti squash. It's so healthy and tasty too.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ordinary! Hot dogs and s'mores have become our Friday night staple when the grandkids spend the night with us. Enjoy your weekend, Billie Jo:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always so glad to read that you often feel the same as I do! I'm a creature of habit, and as the kids have grown, you're so right, schedules change. I'm learning to accept it, although I admit I always want them here where I feel I can keep them safe and cozy. I'll have to try spaghetti squash, thanks for sharing the how-to, hmmm, maybe a great weekend meal plan! The boat ride looks lovely and peaceful...just what's needed to unwind. Have a great weekend, always love reading what you're up to! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life always sounds so calm and idyllic. But I know it isn't. Love how you calm me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A moonlit boat ride sounds so dreamy! Have such a good weekend! I love spaghetti squash... When someone else prepares it. It's just so much more effort than boil some pasta in 9 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Billie Jo~
    Ordinary days, time with family, quiet time on the lake, a yummy summer meal...sounds like a very good summer to me. Have a great week-end! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! It sounds like you had a nice, low key week. I hope you are having fun with your family out on the boat tonight and enjoying a yummy dinner followed by smores - my favorite! I've never made spaghetti squash but I've always wanted to try it. It's definitely a healthier option than regular pasta. Charlotte and I are going to a mother/daughter brunch birthday party for one of her friends in the morning so that should be nice. I also plan to do some reading and, of course, there's laundry to catch up on. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Billie Jo - Glad you had a relaxing week. I always like hearing what is going on in your kitchen! Any good book recommendations? I hope you have a good weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photo of the deer at the lake is beautiful. I love spaghetti squash especially with sauce. Great idea to add the zucchini too. Your moonlit boat ride and photo are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your moonlit boat ride sounds perfect and what a beautiful photograph!
    And I love the idea of spaghetti squash. It looks delicious, so I must give it a try during the week. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Billie Jo, love all of the photos! Those deer are gorgeous! The boat ride photos are lovely. Have a fabulous weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. A boat ride sounds wonderful. My Daughter and her husband bought a lake house last year. It is nice to visit the lake and see the beauty all around while riding on the boat. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Billie Jo, thank you so much for the kind comment on my blog, as always, I really appreciate them. I'm sorry I am so bad at coming around and returning the love. I'm trying to get better at doing so.
    Boy do I relate to what you said about the kids growing up, mine are both still home but one is 23 and one is 19 and they have their own schedules, sometimes they eat, others they don't, or they're home or not. It's a whole new life isn't it?

    The boat ride sounds so nice, would love to be on one right now. Anyway, I hope you're having a blessed weekend.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. The spaghetti squash sounds delicious, and your homemade sauce, even better. I love that boat picture, it's so cool. It must be so peaceful on the water at night time. And those deer! What a wonderful gift to see them in your yard. I've always thought they are special animals, and are in awe when I see them. One has been coming in our neighbor's yard, and I just gaze at it until she jumps the fence and goes away. This is a really nice picture of the deer by the water. Ordinary days are the sweetest. Thank you for this terrific post, Billie Jo.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo