January 12, 2022

Not A Resolution~A Goal

 



I didn't make a resolution this year. Instead, I set a goal. I set a goal for myself to do what I can, however insignificant it may be, to help stop the stigma associated with mental illness. I spent many years trying to understand and deal with my OCD and Anxiety on my own. And I did. Until I couldn't. I had to admit that I needed help for something I didn't even know I had. That was over ten years ago, and today, with therapy, medication, and loads of support, I am living this life I love without the constant chatter and obsessions invading my mind. I will always have OCD, but now I have the tools and medication to help me deal with it. 

I feel compelled to share this here because I know some people still feel afraid, unsure, and embarrassed talking about their mental health. That makes me sad. I often say that if I had Diabetes, I wouldn't hesitate to tell people. I wouldn't be afraid to tell people I need medication to keep me healthy. Right? I am committed to being open about my Anxiety and OCD. And that I see a therapist who helps me immensely. I am no longer afraid to tell people I take medication. Recently, more than one person has told me that my openness and honesty have encouraged them to seek help with their own Anxiety through therapy and medication. That makes me so happy because when a person suffers from Anxiety, one of the best feelings in the world is knowing he or she is not alone. 

So there you have it. If you didn't already know, I have OCD. I have Anxiety, mainly about my health. I see a therapist. I take medication. I am not embarrassed. I am thankful. Thankful that I sought help. Thankful help is available. Thankful I realize that OCD is a part of my life. It is not me. Or my entire life. I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. I love my family, my home, my pups. I read and teach and watch old games shows. I cook and bake and call my mom. I live my life. Anxiety is a small part of that life. I know that now. And let me assure you, if you suffer from Anxiety, Depression, or other mental health issues, you know it now too. 

Happy Wednesday, my friends!
Thanks for visiting and for listening.

Billie Jo



20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, there are lots of people out there who need to hear this. Enjoy your day dear friend and that beautiful view. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do appreciate you sharing this with us. I have 'issues' that I don't talk about and that's one of the reasons I spend so much time in nature. It helps me feel healthy and good, body and soul...and mind. We all have so many different things to deal with and things that have happened to us over the years. It adds up and can control our lives if we don't do things to help. You are doing great! I would hug you if I could! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful goal. Thank you for being so open about it all. And that picture is amazing. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son was diagnosed in his junior year of college. He sees a therapist and psychologist for his anxiety and depression. Some days are better than other. His doctor said the same thing, that is if Adam had diabetes or thyroid problems no one would think anything about it. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you have found help that works for you. I have a family member that has it but isn't doing the necessary things to treat it. I feel so sorry for that person. God bless you-you figured it out and I am glad you are so open about it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Billie Jo~

    Thank you for being so open and upfront about such an important topic. I don't think any of us are immune to mental health issues, me included. Thank you. I think your goal is wonderful! Your photo is also just gorgeous...I love how the sky changes color in January! Big hugs to you, Billie Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very sad that still today there is such a stigmatism attached to mental health. As you said that wouldn't be the case if you had diabetes, so why is it with mental health? I'm glad to hear you're focusing on what you can do to change that.
    Gorgeous view!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always struggled with anxiety and depression, but I know the signs and I seek help, when I see them. I am not afraid to admit it. I have helped several people by talking to them about it. You help people also. I have ADHD and it went untreated all my life, I wish I had done something about it years ago. Because I am successful, I thought there was nothing wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write so powerfully Billie Jo, and so true. So many people struggle with anxiety, and it is something so difficult to talk about. Mental health is truly one of healthcare's biggest challenges, and the brain is still the unconquered frontier in medicine. So much they are learning. Thankful that you have found methods that work so well for you, and wonderful that you can share and talk about it. I think your goal for the new year is a great one, and I pray the Lord blesses you in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love and admire your honesty, God bless you! Thank you for sharing, I love love love your blog!
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Billie Jo. Thank you for this post, and your honesty. As you probably know, I have struggled with anxiety and depression for many years. I finally got some help with a good therapist and I feel so more empowered to deal with life's challenges. You are a good "across the miles" friend and I am so glad we connected in "blogland" all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless you, dear one for sharing. I have always said that each one of us would do well to get therapy. If we were honest, there is no one among us that doesn't have issues. Sending you hugs and love, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers for you! for being open and willing to share. Everybody needs help with something, and it is no small thing that you are doing, to help stop the stigma and acknowledge that mental health is one more area where we can take care of ourselves and ask for help. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story to tell, especially to those who may suffer with the same thing. Thank you, Billie Jo, for being a brave one to share. I'm glad you get the help and patience from people that love and support you. I was looking out your window and am seeing a beautiful view of the water. Oh, it's so lovely, especially when a sunrise or sunset is coming up. Have a good rest of the week, precious friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I almost forgot.....the homemade salsa I make is real easy, but it's so good. Just cup up avocados (I like the hard ones, not mushy), chopped tomatoes and onions, salt and pepper. And I like to get the hard chips that don't crumble easy - these were Juanita's Tortilla Chips. They're really good. : )

      Delete
  15. What an important and wonderful goal!! I am proud of you and thankful for your openness and vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Billie Jo, you are amazing for sharing your story and sharing your goal. I know I have struggled with depression and anxiety, and I have often felt that I can't share that with people because then I would look weak. I know a lot of people feel that way. I hope that by you sharing your experiences, it will help to open up to more people and show that there is a normalcy to having these issues and it is not something to be ashamed of. Thank you for being that light my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for being so open about your mental health issues. By sharing, you make it more normal and not as scary for all of us and especially for those of us with family members who also experience anxiety and depression. Always good to look for and receive help.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your mental issues, Billie Jo! 2020 when I had an injury, I had a slight concussion. At times I didn't remember what I said or figure out what I read in the Bible. Read it again, even quenstions to answer~but I survived it with no medication. I did have physical therapy that that helped alot. I appreciate what you wrote! God bless~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  19. I appreciate your willingness to share and be so open about your anxiety and OCD. You will no doubt help many other people by sharing. Hugs to you sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo