February 10, 2023

Chicken Cacciatore For Dad

 Do you want to hear something neat? Yesterday I made chicken cacciatore. It was delicious!



But that isn't it. I am a meal planner. And I had planned to make barbeque chicken sandwiches yesterday. I had the chicken thawing in the fridge. Steve bought some fresh rolls, and I had the crockpot set out. And then I suddenly got the idea to make chicken cacciatore instead, just like that. I remembered I had some onions and peppers in the freezer, and although I only had fresh parsley, I could use dried herbs for the rest. So, I put the chicken in the crockpot, stirred in some tomatoes, garlic, and all those herbs with a bit of sugar, and turned it on. 

When it was time for dinner, I put the noodles on the plates and sprinkled them with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper before I added the sauce. Just like my dad used to do it. I have to tell you, it was delicious. Steve even used the rolls to make garlic bread.

But that isn't it. Today marks nine years since my dad passed. This morning, during my prayers, I thought of him like I do so often. I looked at some pictures I have saved on my phone, and then I went back and read the post I shared on that day nine years ago. As I was reading it, I knew. I knew why I had the feeling to make chicken cacciatore yesterday. And I literally said, "Ohhhhhh!" Let me show you why. Here is a part of the post I wrote the day my father died.


My father was a wonderful man. I will miss him every single day for the rest of my life. I will miss his voice and his laugh. I will miss making chicken cacciatore and pumpkin cake for him. I will miss calling him on the phone. I will miss the love between him and my mother. I will miss my dad.

So there it was. One of those rare, wonderful, blessed moments that touch your soul  and allow you to know that your loved one reached across eternity to say hello. And to let you know that he is ok. And still loves your chicken cacciatore. If you would like to read the complete post I shared then here is the link.



Thanks to all who shared in the "Getting To Know Your Blog Friends Week". It was fun reading all the comments and posts. Best of luck to everyone who has a team in the big game Sunday! See you back here Monday for a brand new week.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!
Billie Jo

17 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I am so glad you could make that and it looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billie Jo. I just love this post. The chicken cacciatore sounds great (I may have to make some), but the best part of this post are your sweet words and memories of your dad. Sounds like he is a wonderful man and still very much looking down on you and your family. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fortunate we are to have had wonderful dads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet story. It's funny how things like this happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food really does have so many wonderful memories attached to it. I'm so glad you can make this dish and feel close to your dad. My Dad's passing was four years ago at the end of January. I've been sad about it but reading this makes me think I need to make a coconut pie in his memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken Cacciatore. This is a wonderful dish for you to make for your dear Dad. It sounds like you were very close to him. I know how you must miss him terribly. My dad died when I was only 28, so I am sending you a big hug on this Friday afternoon.

    ~Sheri

    **Billie Jo! I did a post about Get To Know Your Blog Friends. I hope you like it. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father passed in 1999. I think about him every day, and say the sayings he used to say. I am sorry for your loss. I am glad it made you happy to make his pasta and chicken dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, I come from Red Rose Alley. I love your blog, it is kind of like mine. Just my every day life. I had OCD, almost no one knows. It is brain chemistry and nothing to be ashamed of, but I still do not tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post and a wonderful thing to make that. As I was reading, I though how good it sounded. and then reading the rest made it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a special way to remember your dad! Chicken cacciatore does sound quite delicious! I am making chicken tortilla soup tonight for dinner. Oh so good! I must have missed your post, but I will go back and read it about introducing yourself :) I hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading this post. It's always so reassuring getting those little signs. Those anniversaries of our loved ones passing can be so tough but sounds like your dad helped you through that one a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a really sweet (and delicious) memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this so much. He was sending you a sign today. He was thinking of you!
    The chicken cacciatore looks divine! Do you know I've never made it, but I love it. I'm putting a request for this meal the next time I come and we can say a toast to your dear Dad! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is so sweet. Your chicken cacciatore looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo