November 23, 2022

(Almost) Time For Turkey!

 Good morning! Well, tomorrow is the day. The day when many of us will perhaps prepare, season, baste, slice, enjoy, and then package up a turkey. Every year, as our family sits down to enjoy the turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes all smothered in glistening gravy, we comment on the fact that we should and could make this meal other times during the year. We prepare some version of it at times, a chicken breast in the crockpot with some Hungry Jack mashed potatoes, a roasted chicken with Stove Top stuffing and doctored-up Heinz gravy, but we save the real thing for this one day in November. Tradition, I suppose. Whatever it is, I am looking forward to it. To all of it. And perhaps even more so, the leftovers!

I hope you all enjoy this Thanksgiving Day the way you like. Your day may not look like the pictures in magazines or the ones posted on Instagram. Maybe you carve the turkey in the kitchen and leave the gravy in a pot on the stove. Perhaps you don't dress in fancy clothes or forget the cranberry sauce that no one ever eats. It's ok. The only image of this day that matters is the one you create and hold in your heart. And who wants to clean a gravy boat anyway?!?

Have a blessed Thanksgiving Day, my friends. Enjoy and relax, for the holiday season has begun! And before you know it, these busy, exciting, festive days will be over and stored as memories in our hearts.

(Pinterest)

Before I go, on a sadder note, I want to share that I found late last night that the blogger friend I asked about on Friday, Linda, from Ramblings of a Retired Lady, passed on Sunday. I will miss her and pray for the family she loved so very much. 

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends.
I am thankful for you!

Billie Jo

18 comments:

  1. Good morning - so glad you stopped by this morning! And yes I am grateful that you found your way to my space:) I look forward to dropping by often. Our holidays rarely look like those in the Hallmark movies...and for years that disappointed me but I am really embracing and loving our own little traditions. Looking forward to creating another memory tomorrow:) Hope your day is special as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our holidays never look like the movies either, but we have our traditions and happily, our in-law children and their families all get along so we get together as one big happy family, made from four individual families. Life is good.
    I'm sorry to hear about your blog friend, Linda. It's hard when someone suddenly vanishes from our lives.
    Many blessings on this Thanksgiving and the days ahead.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your blog friend.
    I hope you and your family make many memories over the holiday weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't do a whole turkey anymore, just a couple breasts these days, and I use store bought versions of everything else, but yes, this is still the only day of the year that it all comes together in this one large way. Tradition!!! I used to get bummed, years ago when we still gathered at someone else's house, when the traditional foods I'm used to weren't there. We started doing our own dinner, just the four of us, the day after Thanksgiving if we were going somewhere else that year. lol Now we just stay home, it's still just the four of us, and we have all our preferred traditional foods.

    Sorry to hear about your bloggy friend, especially after you and others had mentioned being concerned. I did not know her or her blog, but it's sad nonetheless. There is actually a lady on YouTube that hasn't posted, responded, or been active online for many months now. I really wonder what's happened to her too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our holiday seasons here never look like the ones in movies or something you'd see on Pinterest, but they're full of wild, zany, crazy, and wonderful memories that can be carried in the heart all year long and I treasure them! I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your fellow blogger. I will be joining you in prayer over her dear family. Blessings for a Happy Thanksgiving and a lovely holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to you dear friend and to your family! I'll be doing some cooking today in preparation for tomorrow. I'm making the stuffing today, which I'll bake tomorrow, and probably a pumpkin pie. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving!! The craziness begins today at my house. I will make pies, rolls, cranberries and sweet potatoes. Bob is going to smoke a ham, it should be delicious. We will spend the day at my daughters, with some of their family and some of ours...it will be so fun! I know your day will be filled with love, family and good memories! So sorry to hear about, Linda, her family will be in my prayers. Grateful for you dear friend! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely thoughts on your post today, Billie Jo! Have a wonderful day with your dear family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sad to hear about Retired Lady. I enjoyed her so much. Sending prayers for her family and all that cared about her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear of the death of your blogger friend.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I'm so sorry to read the news about your blogging friend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sadden about Linda...she was a great friend. Wishing you a beautiful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm praying for Linda's family as well. She was so proud of them!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. On Thanksgiving, some of us eat the cranberry sauce! Just made it tonight. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the reminder to not strive for whatever holiday image is put before us...it's not real, at least not in my home! Enjoy the time, looking forward to reading about it. So sorry to hear about your friend...you reminded me of a blogger I haven't heard from lately, I'll drop her a note now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanksgiving is a good time to remember what happened years ago. I look forward to Thursday as it will be a bit different but good. We plan on going to union gospel mission to serve food and clean up afterwards. We will be able to eat there as well. Something I felt like we should do. I'm sorry for the loss of your blogger friend. It's happened to me a few years ago as well. We lost a friend today due to cancer he'd been through for a few years. So thankful for the promise of heaven! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for letting us know about Linda. I heard she had passed a couple of weeks ago but wasn't sure if she had actually died. I hope you have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for letting us know about Linda. I had tried to find out how she was doing:(. I will miss her. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo