March 13, 2024

Sometimes You Got Nothing

 


Sometimes, you have nothing exciting to post. Sometimes you are fresh out of ideas, or you literally have one...albeit preciously cute...picture on your phone. Sometimes, nothing is happening except, well, life. Regular, ordinary, daily life. As I was saying my prayers this morning, I realized it is ok to write about nothing. I mean, life happens between all the special events, holidays, and excitement. And for me, ordinary life is the very best life there is.

Currently, I am on the couch with two of our three pups, finishing my morning coffee and prayers. The television is off, mainly because I try to keep my mornings less chaotic and more intentional, but also because this house has some sort of special air heating and cooling system that makes the sound travel everywhere and all at once! I am an early riser, to be sure. The remainder of the house is not. 

Later, I will get cleaned up, have breakfast/lunch, and start school with Flynn. We usually watch an old game show or two, like MatchGame or Card Sharks, first. If you are looking for a break from chaos and politically correct television today, immerse yourself in GameShow Network, where it is perpetually anywhere from 1975 through 1983 and much more fun. I mean Gene Rayburn and Jim Perry?! The best!

After school, I will throw in some laundry, take the dogs outside for a bit, and then wait for a call from my sister Margie and my mom; I am so thankful for those calls and for the fact that my mom is happy and still loves to talk with me, her daughter. Next, I will head to the kitchen, where I usually play some Post Malone music on my speaker rather loudly while I start dinner. Tonight, we are having Baked Ziti with Sausage, tossed salad, and garlic bread; Flynn is making some pumpkin bread too!

After dinner, we will clean up and get cozy on the couch for a few episodes of Gilmore Girls. After that, the kids usually disperse to various places for video games or showers, and I head to one of my favorite parts of my day, my nightly shower. I have written before how I used to be a morning shower person. However, an evening shower somehow does more than make me clean. It washes away the day's stress and relaxes me way more than an invigorating morning one. I slather on my lotion...Eucerin is my current favorite, followed by a bit of my signature scent... Amazing Grace by Philosophy. Then I head back out to the family room and plop on the couch for some reading or TV watching with Steve before bed.

Of course, this is only an outline of my ordinary day. In between are mundane things like picking up one dog's food so another can't eat it, helping Flynn train a cute but feisty puppy, making grocery lists, scrubbing toilets, taming my unstyled hair into a ponytail over and over, and checking in with my sister and friends through texts. My windows need washing, the bird feeder is empty, and Easter is coming too quickly. I can, however, let all that be, because it will all work out. And if it doesn't the sun will rise again anyhow, right? 

So, embrace your mundane, my friends. That is the stuff life is made of.

Billie Jo




18 comments:

  1. Your ordinary day sounds wonderful, Billie Jo. I miss the first seasons of Gilmore Girls, as I don't have Netflix right now. A smile to Flynn for making pumpkin bread. I just made some too! Oh, how we love Fall things even with the other seasons, don't we? I'm sure Flynn is loving that feisty puppy. Tell her to hang in there; it's not easy training a pup, but the joy they will have together. : )

    Have a blessed week, my dear friend. And thank you for this post. Nothing exciting happening here right now either.....and that is OK!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for ordinary days! And I don't think you can beat the silence of an early morning house. Love the Amazing Grace scent, just placed a Philosophy order. Use their skincare and I always order a sample of the bergamot version of Amazing Grace, I should just break down and order a full size. Hope you have a wonderful ordinary and enjoyable Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes those ordinary days are the best ones. 💗 blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about your days, ordinary or not! My grown daughter left for her home in Florida yesterday after visiting for family festivities. The house is quiet and ordinary now and that's just as perfect! Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! I have been saying for quite awhile that a good day for us now is a day when nothing happens! Because at our age, something happening is usually bad. I have absolutely loved reading about your normal daily life! And the adorable pic of Mocha. Your dinner sounds delicious. I have always been a bedtime showerer, because I love the feeling of getting into bed so clean. Plus it is good if you have allergies. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading about your ordinary days. My life isn't very exciting either right now and it's hard to find entertaining things to post about. Mostly it's been taking care of Mom. Your day sounds just about perfect to me. I would love to just stay home from day to day, but Dennis likes to be on the go and there are always things that need done somewhere.
    I just returned home from a ladies Bible Study at our church. I ride with a friend and we have nice chats on the way there and back.
    Enjoy the rest of your day. I'm staying home too and we'll have lasagna for dinner.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a bit mundane as well today. I stayed in bed longer this morning as I didn't need to go anywhere today! More sleep though. I like to make pumpkin banana bread with chopped walnuts in it. Recipe makes 2 of them. I made a batch last Friday and took one of them to church for potluck after 2nd service. All gone! A lady told me she liked it! I plan on doing some sewing and did schedule an appointment online for a mammogram later this month. The sun is shining this morning....well it's almost noon now! Dinner to be something with noodles! Enjoy another day with your daughter with homeschool and adorable dogs you have! God bless your day, my friend! I appreciate the comments you leave on my blog! :- } Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Billie Jo! Another wonderful post that makes me realize who blessed we are to have those "ordinary days." Enjoy the rest of the week and stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mundane days and all of the ordinary things are the best! It's often on those days that I find inspiration for writing. I hope you can find the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the mundane day to day is what life is made of - and it's a blessing, isn't it?
    PS - I love Amazing Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Billie Jo :) Ordinary days are my absolute favorites! And speaking of game shows...David and I were stuck on The Price is Right for the longest. The "Bob Barker days" is what they were called and it's not really the Price is Right if it's not Bob Barker :) We love Match Game too!

    I love quiet mornings and soaking in a tub full of lavender epson salt in the evening. Ahhh...the little things :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also look at blogs and sometimes wonder if I lead a very dull life since I don't post as often as others. There are a lot of days where what has gone on with me is not worth writing about. There are days when I wish I had so much to share on my blog but then there are other days where I am happy to just have a quiet mundane day that no one sees but me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’d say you picked a perfect photo for a post, adorable in fact. I liked your “ordinary life is the very best life there is”. So true! Your mundane would be a lifeline for so many, and a joy to see. Thank you and may the rest of your week be as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speaking as the unofficial champion of the nothing to post but ordinary days bloggers, I support this update. I thrive in ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely (ordinary) post! My favorites! I am always thinking that I need something "of substance" to post - but, apparently, I ain't got much substance these days. Lol. I do LOVE an evening shower (after years of morning showers when I worked) and I love Amazing Grace cologne too!! Brilliant minds:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My blog is always about ordinary days. :)
    I enjoy reading about your ordinary day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Friend! Thank you for the inspiration for my meals for the week. I have nearly all those ingredients and just need to pick up fresh tomatoes and lettuce!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo