March 4, 2024

Monday Morning Coffee


Good Monday morning! This morning, I decided on an old favorite instead of my usual medium roast with a splash of sweet cream. Every now and then, I treat myself to my old standby. 

This is what Steve refers to as my "Fake Coffee." It was the first coffee I drank, way back in college. I had to ease myself into the coffee life, and this was the way I did it—although back then, it looked more like this.

Just seeing this photo brings back so many memories. It was on a shelf next to my electric hot water kettle in my dorm room in college. Once married, I kept a tin on my stove, with my teakettle nearby. I had a cup every day when I came home from teaching. And then, when I became a mom, I started having a cup every afternoon while my babies napped. Who knew a tin full of powder could hold so much more? When Peyton was little, she and I would have toast and coffee while baby Rhett took his afternoon nap. We would snuggle in the big chair together, she with her sippy cup and me with my mug. She would always take the last little sip of my coffee, and if I try, I can still see her tiny little face light up each time. Years later, when we homeschooled, Rhett would make my afternoon coffee. He had a special touch that made it taste so good. He told me he stirred it much longer and added a little surprise sometimes! My favorite was a Hershey Kiss. 

Eventually, this instant coffee was replaced with the good stuff, but I still keep a tin or two in the cupboard, although now it isn't so much a tin as a plastic container. The flavors have changed, too, from Swiss Mocha to Hazlenut to French Vanilla, but the sentiment is the same. The mug in my hands holds so much more than instant coffee. It holds years of beautiful memories to revisit.

Well, I am off to get ready for the day. Flynn and I have homeschool, and I have a grocery order coming this afternoon. We have leftovers from a delicious meal Steve made yesterday, so there will be no cooking tonight! I finish off my Mondays with The Bachelor, following a seemingly sincere Joey looking for his wife among the remaining four women, all of whom he has strong feelings for. What could possibly go wrong?! Have a lovely Monday, my friends!

Billie Jo


 ( Google for the images. )

24 comments:

  1. Dearest Billie Joe,
    Fond memories but I agree with Steve about the fake coffee as it is just a sweet beverage...
    But coffee moments are very special and they did lift up our minds.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a coffee drinker but I like that French Vanilla too. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those days with leftovers! They make the day so simple! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have no idea what memories you stirred in me this morning, Girlfriend, when I saw those tins! Oh my goodness! I'm not a coffee drinker but for whatever reason, I loved that stuff! It brings back memories of early years of marriage, years of our children being young...oh my goodness! Thank you for each one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BillieJo, you have such a beautiful way of writing. It feels almost like I'm there with you, watching ou curled up in the chair with your babies. How blessed you are my friend.
    I've never been a coffee drinker. Not even mocha candy, ice cream, etc. But I love the smell of coffee and back when we used coffee in cans, I loved to open it with the can opener and get the first puff of aroma from the can. Now it's coffee pods and they have no smell to enjoy.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never liked coffee but I enjoyed reading about your love affair with it. Such sweet memories of your kiddies. May your week be filled with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was the only coffee my grandmother would drink. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the sweet memories— they are truly the best. I remember when my son was little asking for hot chocolate - “the kind made with love.” He’ll be home for spring break at the end of the week - I think it’s time for hot chocolate 💜

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Billie Jo, I so love hearing about the memories you have of your little ones. I do remember Maxwell House, and I've been looking all over for Hills Bros. coffee, but can't find it anywhere. So sweet of Rhett to make your afternoon coffee when he was older and add a Hershey's chocolate kiss with it. I smiled with this, as whenever my son cooks anything, it seems to always have a special touch and taste so much better than if I made it myself. And I loved hearing that little Peyton would take a sip of your coffee while you were snuggled in the chair together. Please keep telling us your beautiful stories, my friend. They are a part of who we are.

    Happy March days.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I LOVE your take on the Bachelor. That was for sure my starter coffee too! I love that! And I can just picture small Rhett stirring your cup. So so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I always loved those International Coffees! I still have a tin from the late 80s that I keep paperclips in :-) The Orange Cappuccino made me feel so sophisticated, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, memories for me, too!!! I am going to the grocery store today, and may just pick up a tin of it! I used to drink it when I was younger, before we got a proper coffee maker and good coffee beans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Billie Jo, I just want to hug you...you have simple sweet memories as do I about coffee. The added kiss was special. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Monday dear Friend! I love the memories you share. I know exactly what you mean by how sometimes a tangible thing - brings back so much more than the tangible in a moment. I used to love those drinks sometimes too. I never liked coffee until I went to Europe when I was 28 years old. Their coffee wasn't bitter and I learned to love it (& the boost it gave) during that trip. I never looked back since. Coffee lover for life now. Lol Blessings on your week ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Swiss Mocha tins brought back memories for me too. Sitting on the couch with my aunt on a cold winter night drinking Swiss Mocha. I think I was in high school then. I enjoyed your special memories. It was definitely a nice way to begin coffee drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a coffee drinker. Love the smell, just not the taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm laughing. When me & my bestie got our first apartment we had that making us feel so "grown up" ... the good ole days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Billie Jo. Good memories for you! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! Swiss Mocha for the win!! Lots of memories of me drinking this and declaring that I would never become a full fledged coffee drinker. And yet, here I sit, reading blogs, with a steaming cup of brewed coffee in hand. But I will never forget the nostalgia of Swiss Mocha :) And today I will catch up with Joey and see who he looks longingly into their eyes and then sends home. :) Wish we could compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness Billie Jo, I could just cry, Rhett was so sweet. I always say that when children help make something, it tasted better. Although shh, I would always tell them it was wonderful ha. I started out drinking instant Nescafe after Benjamin was born, because I was just plain tired with three kids...I finally graduated to brewed coffee, now I'm a snob...has to be whole bean, freshly ground, ect. Anyway, loved this post, what a good momma you are.:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a container of Hills Bros. French Vanilla Cappuccino on my pantry shelf. I just love it! I am a big fan of Starbuck's Vanilla Cappuccino Grande and mentioned this to a fellow teacher when I was working. She gave me my first box of Hills Bros as a gift and I have been in love ever since. It reminds me of good days teaching second grade.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I drink 4 coffees a day! Three strong ones in the morning and one light coffee in the afternoon. I started drinking coffee when I was a student.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but little rectangular coffee tins take me right back to my childhood (or younger years). I remember my mother having a small collection of instant tinned coffees. And some in glass jars as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice topic. I love coffee, if there's one thing I can't live without it's that! Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo