July 12, 2014

My Best Friend

I am blessed. I have a friend. Her name is Marian. And she is the best friend a person could ask for. I met Marian our very first moment of college. Almost 27 years ago. And we have been best friends ever since. After college, Marian stayed in the city and became a very successful career woman in a field so perfect for her. She helps people. I came home and settled in the country as a teacher, then wife and mother. Yet, our friendship remained. Marian is the friend I pray each of my children will find. The friend that remains in your life forever...through the good and the bad. Marian has laughed with me, cried with me, celebrated with me, supported me and consoled me. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding. She is my firstborn's Godmother. She has been with me for baptisms, birthdays, holidays, and recently, my dear father's funeral. When my father passed, Madison immediately ran and called Aunt Marian. And she came. Seeing her walk up the stairs as I prepared to go to my father's wake immediately made me feel better...safe and strong.

Marian and I have watched Big Brother together every summer  for the past 14 summers, even though we are miles apart. Sometimes we text...sometimes we talk on the phone. Sometimes we go weeks without talking, as life gets in the way. But we pick up exactly where we left off. She knows what I am trying to say before I say it. She helps me see situations from the entire perspective, and helps me deal with them. She loves my family as her own. She knows me. And still loves me. : )

I often feel as if she does and is so much more for me than I could ever hope to be and do for her. When she was leaving this past weekend, I hugged her and thanked her for coming. I told her I knew she had a whole life waiting for her back at home. And she told me I was the most important part. I don't know that I deserve a friend like Marian, but I thank God everyday that I have her in my life. I hope she knows that. You do, right Mar? : )





My best friend forever...Marian. : )

13 comments:

  1. You are blessed to have her as a friend like that, and I have one also and am blessed in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds wonderful. I'm glad you were able to spend some time with her. I know exactly what you mean about "picking up right where you left off." That is the best kind of friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one friend I have been besties with since age 14...I think everyone only gets one of these lifelong friends if they are lucky enough. I also wish each of my children has their own "Marian" that can stay with them through the thick and thins of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great that you have such a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really blessed to have a friend like that..smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to have a special friend like that. Myou two are very blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry when I use my iPad I always have typos! What I wanted to say is....you two are very blessed!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful friendship to have all these years and something so hard to come by now a days!!! You two are so lucky to have each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across this quotation today: "There is nothing on earth more to be prized than true friendship." -Thomas Aquinas // Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She sounds like a wonderful friend and just right for our beloved Billie Jo :) Thanks for sharing your Bestie with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet post, dear Billie Jo! You are both blessed...for true friendship is rare, indeed. "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother..."
    Sweet blessings, dear lady!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. My best friend, Teresa, is my Marian. We also met in college and the morning after my Mom died, I woke up to her sitting in her car in my driveway. She is my person and I love our friendship. We also go weeks amd months without seeing each other. Tomorrow she and I are hitting the open road. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo