October 21, 2024

Monday Morning Coffee And Ghosts Of Halloween Past

 

Good Monday morning! There are only ten days until Halloween. I have loved this holiday since I was a kid, wearing the plastic costume that came in the box with the mask that made breathing impossible. I loved Halloween party day when I was a teacher. I loved the little seven-year-olds laughing when I couldn't tell who they were in their costumes. I loved the simple but festive cupcakes with orange icing and the cups of orange Kool-Aid sitting on their little wooden desks when they returned from the costume parade. 

I loved Halloween with my little ones, who started thinking about their costumes in July when the magazines began arriving in the mail. I loved planning Halloween night dinner and rushing to put costumes on before loading up in the van with plastic pumpkin buckets waiting to be filled with candy. Steve drove, and I organized, sorting wands, capes, coats, and masks. Each year, the kids grew older and taller, and the costumes changed - except my little Cinderella, who made an appearance several years in a row - and I remember vividly sitting in the van watching them go house to house, thinking that one Halloween night would be the last time for dress up and candy. I need not have worried.

We still celebrate Halloween here. The kids still dress up, and now we have a Halloween party complete with a costume contest, games, prizes, and festive food. Someday, I know, this too will end. Someday, my four will have families of their own, and while I will miss this fun, spooky time with them, I have so many happy memories of Halloweens past to look back on and smile.

























Happy Almost Halloween. my friends!

Billie Jo


10 comments:

  1. Such a fun post with all of the memories of Halloween's past. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad your grown children still dress up and enjoy the festivities with you. I miss when my kids were very little and had pure excitement for Halloween. They still want to dress up but the innocence isn't quite what it used to be, if that makes sense. I just love getting to know your family and love how you make every holiday fun for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you really have gone all out! All of these are from both this year or last year? Is that your Mom I see? she looks so nice in the scarf and shirt! and I love the baby blue princess dress. Those cookies look awesome! My favorite costume...if you count the plates and cookies as #1, my favorite is #4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny! These are photos that go back many years. Flynn was two or three years old when she was first Cinderella. She loved her so much she was Cinderella again and again! And yes. That is indeed my momma! Thank you for all your kind words, my friend.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love it. All their costumes look great, especially Madison's Scream costume. Love that they still dress up and come home to spend time with their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun time of year. Lots of fun in store these next 10 days! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you shared all of your photos with us. They are so adorable and it is great that your kids love this day as much as you. So many great memories you all have built and will continue to do so. The fun part about them getting older and starting their own families, is that they will still want to come to your house where they have enjoyed for all these years, and then the Halloween tradition will spread to your grandkids. Fun! Fun! Fun...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heart! I was enjoying every photo, but that one with your mom stopped me in my tracks. That is the sweetest.
    Lots of good memories here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what precious memories! We used to go to my parents' house with my siblings, so all the cousins could go trick or treating together, we had so much fun. Now they've gone and grown up, some have gotten married, had a few kids...my baby is almost 17, but I will be with some of the grandkids when they go trick-or-treating...:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo