October 14, 2024

OCD Awareness Week

 


Monday Morning Coffee will return next week, but today, I am sharing a few things about something that is a part of me and of my life. If you are a longtime reader, you may know I was diagnosed with OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - in my early forties. Looking back, I realize I had tendencies years prior, but it wasn't until I could no longer control those intrusive thoughts and worries without them impacting my wonderful life that I finally walked into my doctor's office with Steve and asked for help. Today, I am happy to say that I am managing my OCD, and it is no longer impacting my daily life. 

I wish I could say I waved a magic wand and magically cured my OCD, but that is not the case. While there is no cure, OCD can be managed, and I am happy to say that is where I am now. It took years of hard work with a compassionate therapist, prayer, support from family and friends, and doctors committed to finding the proper medication to get here. I am now able to go to the doctor without severe anxiety. I can notice a twinge, a mole, or a racing heart without becoming paralyzed with fear. I no longer wake with an illogical fear of impending doom. I realize those intrusive thoughts are simply my anxious mind trying to get my attention. I know I can let them be there and move on with my day, and they will simply fade. 

Throughout this journey, I have learned a few things that I want to share with anyone who may be experiencing mental health issues and/or anxiety. First, Your mental health is as important as your physical health. If you feel ill, you go to the doctor. If you are sick, you take medicine. Are you embarrassed, ashamed, or worried about telling people you have a sickness like Diabetes? Nope. Treat your mental illness with as much respect as you do your physical illness. Get the help you need and deserve. Anyone who doesn't stand beside you through that doesn't belong in your space anyway. 

There is so much more to know, learn, and say about OCD. I will let the experts do that. Here are just a few of the things found on the International OCD Foundation Website.




That is all for today, my friends! Except for a few puppy pics, because who doesn't love those?




Literally how I found him when I woke up!

Have a wonderful, cozy Monday!

Billie Jo







7 comments:

  1. Thank you and proud of you for sharing! Love you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info Billie Jo! Thanks for sharing it. You are so right that mental health needs to be treated with the same respect as physical health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a wonderful advocate and font of knowledge for those needing to hear all of this! Thanks for sharing your life and heart. Blessings to you always dear Friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! Sounds like you have come through a long journey. I don't have OCD but I have anxiety and depression which I am getting help with. I am learning to be ok with some of my closest friends knowing about my mental health. I hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to call attention to this issue and also discuss news treatments and therapies. Not only do a lot of average folks suffer from this, VP Kamala Harris exhibits many OCD symptoms during her campaign appearances, which is concerning especially with all the wars going on and the nuclear codes at her disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we all love puppy pictures and you. Thank you for always being open and encouraging that it's okay to not be okay and to get help if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your openness! Mental health is so important. Also, I love the last picture there. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo