June 14, 2024

A Friday In June

Happy Friday! And here I go, lamenting that it is Friday already, not only Friday but Friday in the middle of June! How in the world is this possible? Sometimes, I feel like I am on a merry-go-round, and it starts going faster and faster, and I want to slow down. I can't because I'm not in charge. I want to jump off, but I can't because, well, pain and injury, so I hold on as tightly as I can and try to focus on what is happening instead of how fast it is happening, but I can't because although the ride is smooth, it is also moving way too quickly! 

As Father's Day approaches, I am reminded of the many times I knocked on my parents' bedroom door and opened it to tell my Dad goodnight. I remember him listening to me talk and talk and then telling me not to wish my life away because the older you get, the faster it goes. As so often the case, young teenage me heard him but couldn't comprehend what he was saying. Time is time, right? And again, as so often is the case, my Dad was right. The older I get, the faster the days, months, and years pass. Suddenly, I am far from that teenager, pulling into the driveway with minutes to spare before curfew, wishing for just one more "Goodnight, Dad" before bed. 


He was an awesome dad who adored his five girls so much!

I am blessed to have been born to a fantastic father and to have married a man who became one! This weekend, we will celebrate Steve, who is the most amazing father to all of our children. He has a special, unique relationship with each one, and always has the answer for any of life's questions. He was the field trip parent, the soccer coach, the driving teacher, the concert-goer, the amusement park rider, and the vacation planner. He continues many of those things with Flynn and is now the older kids' financial advisor and all-around advice-giver. 





We will celebrate him with dinner, gifts, and phone calls this weekend, too! 

In other news, Flynn and I are still working on homeschooling. We will finish next week, although we could continue because we really enjoy it! A break will be good, though. And when we resume, she will be a freshman! There are flowers and puppies and sunshine around here, too!







Have a wonderful weekend, my friends. Happy Father's Day to all! May those of us who no longer have our fathers here with us find peace in the memories we hold. 

Did I mention Steve bakes, too?? Peach upside-down cake. Who knew?

Billie Jo



16 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of your father and the stories you shared! He sounds like a blessing! Father's day is such a nice time to show extra appreciation to the fathers in our lives. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seems like a great dad and your husband has followed suit :) I had an amazing dad, who has been gone for 12 years now. I still want to call him every day and haven't taken his number out of my phone yet. Thankfully I have an amazing husband who is a great dad and both of my boys are terrific fathers too. A Godly heritage to pass on. What a blessing. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Father's Day to Steve! Your family is so blessed!
    Your clematis is gorgeous. I'm struggling with getting mine to climb the trellis, so I need to make some changes.
    It's so true that time seems to go faster as we get older. My son-in-law and I were talking about that the other day, that he feels he has so little time left with his kids who are 8 and 9. I tried to be encouraging, but oh, if he only knew how time speeds up even faster!!
    Happy summer and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time definitely goes faster and faster as you get older. Our DIL's dad has a saying, "Life is like a role of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Very true.
    The photos of your Dad with you and the others is priceless, as are the ones of Steve with your children. It certainly sounds as though he has provided plenty of memories for them with him and there will be more to come. How blessed you are all by our Heavenly Father. I enjoy reading about the great love in your family for each other. With one son in London, and one in Montana, only our daughters family here with us, it's very hard to get the entire family together. Thank goodness for WhatsApp and FaceTime. We use them voraciously. :-)
    Wishing you all a wonderful weekend full of love.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures of Steve and the kids. I've always thought Flynn looks so much like him. I especially liked the photo of you and your dad on your Holy Communion. What a dear photo. Wow, I didn't realize you had five girls in the family! There was also five of us, three boys and two girls. You're right, time goes by so quickly, and I do appreciate hearing about all the special times you had in your childhood, Billie Jo. They sound simple and sweet. Those purple flowers dangling from your house are beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Billie Jo,
    Those memories remain precious and live forever inside our hearts.
    My Pieter never had the memories of his adopted daughter honoring or loving him...
    She obviously has a heart of stone. One can only pray for her!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great memories of your father Billy Joe.
    I'm glad the husband is following your father's example!
    For a daughter, father is a very important part of her lifešŸ§”
    So happy father's day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing the wonderful photos of your family. Your Dad was a very wise man. If you think time goes fast now, wait till you get my age!!! So fast it makes your head spin. It is true that the older you get, the more time seems to speed up. And there is an actual scientific reason for that, I read it in the paper once. But of course I cannot remember why! Gorgeous Clematis!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean the days just fly by.
    My dad was one of the great ones too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those pictures of you with your Dad.
    I also had a great dad, this is the second Fathers Day without him and I miss him. He was like your Dad and always told me not to wish my days away, and when my kids were young he told me to enjoy every moment because it went fast. He was right!
    My hubby is also a great dad.
    We are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful memories, Billie Jo. Wishing Steve a Happy Father's Day, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your memories of your dad brought back lovely memories of mine as well. We were both so lucky to have such wonderful men in our lives. Love the pics of your puppies. I love that your husband bakes. Mine cooks so well but can't bake to save his life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The memories of your father touched my heart. Good parents are a true blessing. I know how you feel about life just going so very fast. I hope you have a cozy weekend my friend, and enjoy celebrating father's day with your husband, and the remembrances of your dear father. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there anything Steve can't do? Sounds like a great guy. Happy Father's Day Steve! Love the pictures of you and your dad. Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful pictures. Happy Father's Day to Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos! And you look so much like your dad:) Some days, I look at photos and think, "you are your mother" but many times, it is "I have turned into my dad"!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo