February 9, 2024

All The Things

I was trying to come up with a title for this one, and after several unsuccessful attempts, I settled on one that covers everything. First, this beautiful couple, our firstborn and her Nicolas, are celebrating their fifth anniversary today! I have always told my kids that God knows who your person is long before you do. Madison's person is an amazing, caring, loving, handsome young man who grew up across the ocean in Denmark. God brought them together, and we couldn't be happier!

I am happy to be a morning person, and this is why.







This week, we lost an amazing country music artist, Toby Keith, and have been playing his songs on repeat every day. If you are unfamiliar with Toby Keith, and even if you are not currently a country music fan, look up the song he wrote after 9/11. It is called Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue. 



Peyton and Chris had us all for dinner last night. I smiled when I saw her table. I remember setting the table like that when my kids were young. It is a fun little thing that Peyton remembers from her childhood, and isn't that just every mom's wish? She made veal chop parmigiana, and we had chocolate fondue for dessert! 




Inserting a picture of a super sweet pup enjoying some afternoon sun because who doesn't want to see that?


Finally, tomorrow marks ten years since my wonderful dad passed. Ten years. I am sharing the post I wrote that day for anyone who doesn't yet know this remarkable man. 

I Just Wanted You To Know
My Father died today. The man that knew me before I knew myself...the man that gave me life...He died today. And I wanted you to know. I wanted you to know that his name was William Joseph. He was 79 years old and he was my dad.

He had jet-black hair that only got peppered with grey. He had dark skin that I wish I had too. He was funny. Really funny. He loved my mother. So very much. He loved his 5 daughters and all his grandchildren too.

My dad loved rigatoni with meatballs. And a cold Straub beer. He loved to sleep. He loved to read the paper and watch Judge Judy. My dad hated peanut butter. I never saw him eat a peanut butter sandwich. Ever. He loved to watch Pittsburgh Steeler football and Pittsburgh Pirate baseball.

My dad dressed like a gentleman. He wore dress pants and ironed shirts every day. He wore a white undershirt and carried a white folded hankie in his pocket every day. He never wore shorts. Ever. I saw him swim in the ocean once. He took my Madison in and a wave knocked them over. He always remembered that, and so does she.

My father loved The Blessed Mother. He and my mother traveled to Fatima once, and brought us all back the most beautiful rosaries. My dad taught me to love our Blessed Mother too.

My dad drove me to my first job interview and waited in the car for me all morning long. He told me I would get the job and he was right. My dad stopped at the school one day when I was teaching and walked through the playground to the open window and said hello to my whole class.

My dad called me "Little Buddy". He smiled in his eyes. He used Ivory soap and Colgate toothpaste. He always smelled clean. He always looked nice.

My father's name was William Joseph. He was born in his house on a January day in 1935. He grew up and married a beautiful redhead he called "Queenie". He had 5 daughters and owned his own business. He loved his job. He loved his wife. He loved his children, and his grandchildren too. He had a happy life.

My father was a wonderful man. I will miss him every single day for the rest of my life. I will miss his voice and his laugh. I will miss making chicken cacciatore and pumpkin cake for him. I will miss calling him on the phone. I will miss the love between him and my mother. I will miss my dad.

A wonderful man went to Heaven today. His father and mother welcomed him home. I rejoice for him and mourn for me...and my dear mother and my sweet sisters. The world goes on around us. But my father died today. And I just wanted you to know.







It's funny. Ten years. Yet, I can still hear his voice in my head. Or it maybe in my heart. Either way, I carry him with me each and every day. 

Have a lovely weekend, my friends. I am so thankful to have this place with so many wonderful people that allows us to share the good times, the bad, the happy, and the not-so-happy. Enjoy your weekend plans, and good luck to all who have a favorite in the big game on Sunday! I'll be watching and rooting for a good game and even better food and commercials!

Billie Jo











26 comments:

  1. There are tears in my eyes - what a sweet and lovely tribute to your dad. Such loving words and such heartfelt memories - beautifully written. Thanks for sharing it with all of us- and for sharing the beautiful mornings, and also a happy anniversary to the “kids”! Wishing all of you a nice weekend! Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your Dad! I lost my 90 yr old Daddy in 2018 and 14 months later lost my Mom in 2019. Miss them both so much. Dawn Pinnataro Albany, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, dear friend...what a post! Congratulations to Madison and Nicolas on five years of marriage! It's been such a blessing to watch your children grow up and watching the two of them as they became engaged and that beautiful wedding! And I love that Peyton is carrying on this special tradition...and my, oh my, doesn't her food look delicious that she prepared! But the part that really got me was your post the day that your dad passed away. I didn't know you ten years ago, so thank you for re-posting this about him. He sounds like a wonderful wonderful man. My dad passed when in 1982 when I was 33. I was his girl and reading down over your post about your dad brought back so many things about him that I still cherish...even down to hearing his voice in my heart. Thank you, Sweet Friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Billie Jo,
    You wrote so perfectly about your feelings and your Dad's LOVE for family.
    It is because of such respect that our Parents and other loved ones live on—through us.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were so fortunate to have such a wonderful dad! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love following you and your beautiful family always, dear Friend. But you're especially so wonderful at writing what's in your heart about your loved ones. It always gets me emotional in the best ways. Amen to the wonderful blessings our parents, and many other loved ones, bring to our lives forever. Blessings on your weekend ahead and enjoy the big game! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading what you wrote about your dad. I lost mine this past August. Your words brought tears to my eyes thinking of my own dad. Happy Anniversary to Madison and Nicolas! I remember reading her blog when she was in Denmark. Time does fly by. Enjoy the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should all be so well loved. We should all be so lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time passes so swiftly. Happy Anniversary to Madison and Nicolas. And my prayers for your heart, your dad was special. So glad you have Rhett to remind you of him every time you look at him, what a gift that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice tribute to your dad.
    The picture of the wedding ´a couple is beautiful. Chocolate fondue is very good and here we also cook cheese fondue with pieces of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing text for the Father!! How I identified and moved. Be strong in remembering him. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad!! I lost my Dad 32 years ago and I still miss him so much. Hugs my friend. Happy Anniversary to the gorgeous couple. That is a fabulous photo of them. I hope you have a cozy and peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might have teared up reading about your dad because it reminded me of how much I miss my own father. He died when I was 21 years old and never got to see his grandchildren. He was a wonderful man like your dad.
    Toby Keith-such a loss. The world is darker without his bright presence. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Billie Jo~ Oh my goodness, what a beautiful post! My husband came in the computer room and found me almost sobbing . . . losing a father is hard! I can tell he was a good man just by looking at your photos. It always hurts though, nothing can replace a daddy. I lost mine sweet father in 1984, but I still miss him every.single.day. Congratulation to, Madison and Nicolas . . . five years! It seems like it was yesterday that they got married! You know how I love a beautiful sunrise or sunset - my goodness yours is gorgeous!! I will miss, Toby Keith as well, he was on of my favorite country singers. Payton's place setting was so cute, and her meal looked delish. Have a great week-end, Billie Jo. Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful wedding dress.
    Spectacular skies. I'm a morning person too and one reason I like walking early in the morning is to watch the day begin.
    Wonderful tribute to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello my friend! Happy Anniversary to Madison and Nicolas. That wedding picture of them is precious. Virtual tender hugs on the anniversary of the passing of your father. I actually remember reading that blog post where you shared his passing. I love early morning and watching the sunrise. I hope you enjoy the weekend and that the team you are rooting for wins!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peyton's table is so pretty! And your sunrise photos are stunning. Your Dad was a wonderful and rare person! You have written a beautiful tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such an amazing post. Happy Anniversary to Nicholas and Madison. I love that your kids enjoy times together with their spouses. The dinner sounds and looks lovely. The tribute to your Dad is wonderful. Tears were flowing as I read this. He sounds like a wonderful man. One of my favorite memories of him that you wrote was that he came to your classroom to say hello. He sounds like fantastic father and husband. Wishing you a good day today my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Billie Jo, I jus LOVED reading about your dad. I have a lump in my throat. He sounds like a wonderful man. And FIVE daughters! Such a wonderful man to have girls and to teach them how to be treated with respect and love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely tribute to your father. You were blessed to have such a wonderful man in your life.
    Toby was my favorite performer and I saw him in concert many times and met him in person once. He was such a talent and such a great humanitarian. Until the tributes started pouring in I didn't even realize the extent of his giving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful memories of your dad. My dad passed in January 1983. I was only 21. Even now, 41 years later, I still miss him and always will. Thank you for sharing. Pam in Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving all the things. That was a beautiful post about your Dad. He's in your heart forever : )
    Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful post, Billie Jo.You had a special Dad. He loved you well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful post about your Dad. How special that him and your mother went to Fatima and brought you all back some Rosaries. I have watched Our Lady of Fatima many times, and it gets to me every time. Your Dad will always be with you, Billie Jo. He sounds like a wonderful man. His nickname for you, Little Buddy, is sweet. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful tribute to your father, Billie Jo. I'm so glad I looked back in your posts to see what I've missed lately. I miss my dad too. I'm approaching the 25th anniversary of his passing. You've made me reminisce special memories.

    That you were your dad's "Little Buddy" is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo