December 14, 2021

Traditions ~ Old And New

 


If you have read here for a while, you know we are a family fond of tradition. Tradition makes me happy and brings joy, comfort, and memories that warm the heart. Some traditions remain, while as our children grow, we create new ones. Today I am sharing one of each. The first photo is this year's annual gingerbread house. This tradition began over seven years ago when Madison asked Flynn if she wanted to make a gingerbread house with her. This year was the seventh year these two have shared a special time together, assembling their Christmas tradition. And the second picture? One of the many precious photos of my firstborn and my last. 



A new tradition this year? Peyton and Christopher invited all of us to their new home for a Christmas cookie decorating evening. Peyton made the cookies earlier in the day and then prepared the icing and other assorted decorations. We had pizza first and then listened to Christmas music as we decorated the cookies. Afterward, Christopher made homemade hot chocolate for us all. It was a wonderful evening, and I hope the start of a new tradition! 

How do you feel as we get closer and closer to Christmas, my friends? Are you in disbelief as I am that it is indeed actually Christmastime again? Depending on your stage of life, this time of year can be pretty busy with all kinds of plays, parties, school events, concerts, and shopping trips. Enjoy them all. Those years pass quickly. Remember to spend some time in the evenings, with the tree lights glowing, a fire crackling, and music playing. This is the time, my friends. Enjoy.

P.S. If you happen to have Dish for television, they have an excellent channel on 198. It is a free gallery of all kinds of Christmas scenes like fireplaces, nature scenes, falling snow, and many more, complete with soothing sounds and music!

Billie Jo

18 comments:

  1. What a fun tradition Madison and Flynn have started making the gingerbread houses and putting their own special things on them. And the cookie decorating tradition is a delightful one too. I love that picture of Peyton. She has a warm smile. Your evening of pizza, decorating cookies, and homemade hot chocolate sounds wonderful. Traditions are so important to me as well. I still put a big black initial under each package, just like my Mom did when we were kids, and I was happy to see Jess doing the same thing with her packages this year. And new traditions come, like you said, and as I'm looking out my window, I see snow! Lots of snow, and am so happy I have a White Christmas like I hoped for.

    Your cookies look so Yummy, and I want one with my coffee haha.

    Have a merry Christmas week, Billie Jo. This was such a heartwarming post.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy reading about your family's traditions, both the new and the old. Those cookies look wonderful and homemade hot chocolate sounds perfect. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely photos, my friend...always warms my heart. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely new tradition! Tradition s that include cookies and hot chocolate are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to decorate cookies together! And Flynn and Madison's gingerbread house looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the traditions, old and new. Little Peyton and her new teeth coming in, so sweet. My grandson is going to decorate cookies with me next week. It will be so fun and messy, but he is so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Billie Jo. You have such fun traditions. I love that your family spends so much time together. That's what Christmas is all about. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traditions are the engines that drive a family--and yours are very special as they evolve from year to year! Love the gingerbread tradition and the hopefully new one, cookie decorating! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how traditions evolve, just as our families grow and change over time.
    The cookies look wonderful, but I'm sure the memories made were even better. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so sweet. I love family traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of your traditions, and this new one sounds just about perfect!! Cookies, music, cocoa and family??? That's all we need, right? You're so right in how each stage of life brings new happenings at Christmas time. This year has been much more relaxing and easy. I feel in the true spirit more, which is nice! :) Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree my dear Friend...the time is flying so fast! I am trying to take some time in each day or evening to just truly enjoy a moment of the season. Reflect. Pray. Listen to the music. Look at the lights or watch a Christmas movie with Annie. I reflect on the past and I also have moments of the pain of what was. Of how life should have been if my ex had been able to be the man he had vowed to be so long ago. But then I brush that pain aside. And I think of that baby so long ago that came into the world for me and us all. That loves me and holds me in His hands and has me right where he knows I should be. And I think of all the gifts and blessings in my life and I embrace the season fully with His peace and joy.

    I love that you're starting new traditions in this new chapter of your lives. I look forward to the new chapters ahead for me too. With my grown children and I pray someone special in my life again. I currently have a pretty special guy in my life and it's been fun just enjoying the new journey. Blessings to you all.
    🎄 ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been so busy at work, putting in more hours than usual so I'm purposefully spending my evenings in front of the fire, drinking hot chocolate... everything you mentioned! I haven't decorated very much but I'm trying to make better choices that allow me to enjoy the season. After all, it's not all about the stuff, it's about our friends, family, and what's in our hearts. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet tradition. We made many gingerbread houses over the years. I even have the mold to bake one from scratch! I can't believe Christmas is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Billie Jo~

    I love that you and your family celebrate with traditions, it's makes such sweet memories! Your growing family will also grow some new traditions and that will be amazing...I can't wait to see next years cookies! They won't remember the gifts but they will remember the memories and the traditions!! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love tradition❤️ Looks like you all are enjoying your time together doing new things as well as the old🎄. Merry Christmastime🎄. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pizza, Christmas music and cookie decorating sounds like a wonderful evening. I love traditions and making new ones also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo