July 1, 2020

Twenty-nine?!



Twenty-nine years! Steve and I celebrated twenty-nine years of marriage on Monday. That sounds like a really long time, doesn't it? And it is. To me, however, those years seemingly flew by like colorful leaves on a blustery autumn day. They are filled with memories of a young couple in a second-floor apartment, learning to cook, and going to work. I see the happiest days of bringing babies home, plates of cookies left for Santa, and bikes with training wheels and swingsets. New houses. New friends. There are deeply sad times too. The death of parents, funerals, and realization of mortality. The passage of time brings birthdays, driving lessons, graduations, and weddings. Somehow, without realizing it, we become our parents; our children become us. The circle of life continues. Just as it is supposed to do.

Twenty-nine years ago, I knelt before a statue of The Blessed Virgin Mary and prayed for the blessing of children. That prayer was realized in our Madison, Peyton, Rhett, and Flynn. Our children celebrated us on our anniversary with flowers, dinner, and dessert. As we sat together, I remembered that prayer of a twenty-one-year-old girl in a puffy, long-sleeved wedding dress on a sweltering summer day. And my heart was filled with thanksgiving and joy.


June 29, 1991

(Thanks so much to my new friend who blogs beautifully at Beside a babbling brook for reminding me of this photo!



Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friends!
Thanks for visiting.
I am always happy you do.




24 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and Steve, and the wonderful life you've made together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, to the both of you!!!!!

    Since I have been reading here, from the beginning... No, not all yet! I'm up to Oct. 2013!!! -smile-

    Anyway, I have seen the lovely, lovely Wedding Photo of the two of you. Wish you would add that, again. Please do...

    Wishes for many, many, many more years together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiest of Anniversaries!! Your Wedding picture is just beautiful - what a wonderful life you've made together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your anniversary and wishing you many more happy ones. Loved the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations wishing you many more happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated anniversary! Do love the 80's vibe of the photo...my own are stuck somewhere between the 70's and 80's look. Beautiful red, white and blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! Wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so glad you added the lovely, lovely picture!!!

    See, there had to be a another reason, for my reading here, from the beginning. Aside from enjoying it so much, of course.

    And here it was! Having just seen this beautiful wedding picture, I could remind you of it being posted here, before. -smile-

    Enjoy your 4th of July Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary to two of my favorite people!!! Love ya! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary, what a lovely photo. It's so good to look back on a life well-lived and to look forward to many more happy years. Time goes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! Loved the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!!!! What a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful look back and prayers for the years ahead. What a lovely photo of that day 29 years ago. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary! I love the picture, so young and hopeful, and so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful life you two have built together. I love seeing wedding photos, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 29th anniversary to you both! I love your wedding photo; so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary to you both. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary! You looked beautiful in your wedding photo. God bless you and your beautiful family and happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary Billie Jo. And what a sweet and lovely Bride you are. I am loving your long reddish hair and wondering if that's your natural color. Yes, we have so many good times but many sad times as well during the course of our life. But Mother Mary is someone who is always there and listens to our deepest thoughts, and I smiled when you mentioned her today. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  20. I missed this!!! Happy anniversary!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 29 years! What a blessing!! Happy Anniversary and prayers for many more to come. 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo