May 22, 2020

Eighteen





Eighteen years. Eighteen years since Rhett Stephen came into our world and added a burst of blue to our home full of pink. Some say time is a thief. I prefer to think of time as a treasure chest, opening slowly and allowing priceless gifts of moments with our children to emerge. Each year that passes brings new and precious treasures as our tiny children grow into amazing adults.

And so yesterday, my one and only son turned eighteen. I could write pages about this soul that God entrusted to Steve and me, about his sensitive soul and his kind heart. Rhett is an amazing person. He is hilarious. He is intuitive. He is hardworking and compassionate. He is a friend to every person that he knows. I am not boasting, although it sounds that way. Nor am I taking credit for the person my son is and has become. Rather I am sharing the attributes of an awesome soul, one who is much too humble to share himself.

When I think back on these years with my Rhett, I see big Tonka dump trucks, little green army men, days of rocking chairs and a favorite book, "Big Farm Tractor", Old Navy ball caps, V8 Splash Berry Blend Juice, movies, superheroes, Funko Pops, and a favorite green blanket. I feel joy in my heart knowing I had a part in raising a sweet little boy into an awesome young man. A young man who just so happens to look like and remind me so very much of another very special man, my dear father, who I know looks down from Heaven and smiles with pride every day at his little buddy Rhett.

Sister...
And more sisters.

One with Dad...

And one with your dear, amazing girlfriend who has captured all our hearts.


Happy Birthday, Rhett.
Mommy loves you!


P.S. Cake by Peyton, of course!


17 comments:

  1. I am so glad Rhett had such a wonderful 18th birthday! Happy belated birthday to him! (And Peyton's talent never fails to impress me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Rhett! He sounds like such an amazing young man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Rhett. 18 is a significant birthday and he sounds like a great guy. The cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Birthday to Rhett. What a blessing he is. Oh, and I think Peyton should open up her own bakery. That cake is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Birthday wishes to Rhett blessed with a beautiful and talented family. The cake looks so tasty, a spectacular centre piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 18 is big!! I hope he had a great day!
    Hope you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that cake! I love Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Happy 18th birthday! A grown man but always your baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I.can't.believe.it. Happy Birthday Rhett, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your Rhett!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Rhett! Beautiful family and of course the girlfriend too! Gorgeous cake Peyton! I know it was delicious! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing Rhett a fabulous year to come. What a wonderful young man you've raised. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know Rhett had a good birthday just by living in your house. The pictures are great and the cake is to 'die for'! Happy Birthday Rhett.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to your son!! Handsome young man!! That cake looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great birthday celebration!
    Happy Birthday!!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still can't believe Rhett is 18!! He's such an amazing young man. I'm sure your Dad is as proud as you and Steve are. I love all these photos. You all look so happy! And that cake.... Peyton outdid herself on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Rhett! That cake looks amazing! Wow, Peyton did a great job baking such a special dessert. Sons are a beautiful gift, indeed. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo