Hello! And Happy Friday, my friends! I apologize for my absence around here the past few days. Tuesday afternoon, Madison, Nicolas, and I set off on a very special road trip. Let me start at the beginning. Last week, Madison asked me to go with her and Nicolas on a quick trip to The Hamptons for a very special event. We left on Tuesday afternoon and returned last night. It was one of the most special trips ever, and I will remember it forever.
We had never been to the Hamptons, and found it to be even more charming and lovely than we imagined. Nicolas found a cottage for us, and it was indeed charming and cozy as well. In fact, this is the sign that welcomed us when we arrived Tuesday evening, along with a few other pictures.
Wednesday, we got up and drove the very short distance to town, where we enjoyed breakfast at a charming bakery with delicious coffee and sandwiches.
We spent some time walking around this beautiful coastal town, doing a little shopping too.
Afterward, we headed back to the cottage to get ready for the reason for our trip! You see, Madison loves to cook and bake. She also loves to host parties and dinners, and her absolute favorite inspiration for all that is someone she has watched and followed for so very long. She saw last week that a few tickets were remaining for a charity event at the home of this special person. We were able to get two, and Nicolas offered to take us. So, on Wednesday at 4:00 P.M., Madison and I arrived at the house of this amazing woman...
Yes. Ina Garten. The one and only.
I have watched her show Barefoot Contessa for years, and Madison absolutely adores her. Madison watches her episodes, has many of her cookbooks, and makes many of Ina's delicious recipes. In fact, this summer, Madison is challenging herself to make every recipe in one of Ina's cookbooks. And I am benefiting from that!
The event was held in Ina's kitchen, the exact one she films in. It wasn't a studio, however. It was a home. A real kitchen where a talented, charming, kind, and lovely woman cooks, teaches, and inspires. I was so very happy for my Madison, and so proud of her when she met Ina. She introduced herself and me, and spoke about things that she learned from and enjoyed about Ina. It was absolutely surreal standing in that beautiful kitchen! And even more so because we felt like guests at a cocktail hour. Ina is exactly how you think she would be. She is a normal, unpretentious, fun, and lovely person. She made her Hibscious tea, which Madison also makes, and there was sparkling water and rosé, as well as a beautiful and delicious charcuterie board.
On our way!
Just standing in Ina Garten's kitchen!
We were also encouraged to walk around Ina's garden, which was an absolute dream in itself! The flowers, the herbs, the trees! Madison and I just walked and talked and visited with the others who attended. Something that made this event even more special? Everyone who was there was so genuine, kind, and friendly. We all felt at ease immediately.
The charity event Ina hosted benefited a cause so near and dear to my heart: early childhood care and education. A local writer sums it up better than I can when he writes,
More than an exclusive meet-up, this is a gathering with purpose, reflecting Ina's generosity and enduring commitment to the children and families of the community. All proceeds will benefit the Eleanor Whitmore Early Childhood Center (EWECC) supporting its mission to provide affordable childcare and high-quality early education for local families.
"We are extraordinarily grateful to Ina for her continued support of our mission," says EWECC Director, Tim Frazier, East Hampton is a magical place; it is also considered a "childcare desert." For many local families, childcare is their biggest expense after housing. Thanks to the generosity of people like Ina Garten, we are able to provide high quality early education and full-day care so working families can pursue their dreams.
"Thanks to the generosity of supporters like Ina, we can give local children the strong foundation they deserve, no matter their family's financial circumstances," says Laurie Malman, EWECC Co-Chair.
- James Lane
And according to their WEBSITE, The Eleanor Whitmore Early Childhood Center's Mission Statement is
Our Mission
Our mission is to support working families in our socially and economically diverse community:
By providing a comprehensive, nurturing, and research-based early childhood education for children six months to four years, that fosters social, emotional, intellectual, linguistic, and physical development. Our program addresses the needs of each individual child, preparing them for critical life transitions, a future of positive mental health, and a lifelong passion for learning.
By seeking out and engaging innovative public and private sector partnerships that expand and enhance our ability to support working families.
We were so happy to be able to support a cause so dear to us, and also to Ina. It was an honor to be there, especially because Madison was so very happy, and I was right there beside her as she met and visited with someone who inspires her and from whom she has learned so much. It was something we will never forget!

After we left Ina's, we went to dinner at the most delicious Italian restaurant. Nicolas made reservations, and I am so thankful to him because it was one of the best meals I have ever enjoyed.
Yesterday, we got up, tidied the cottage, and started home. Of course, we made a few stops on the way, because how often are you in the Hamptons?
I am so thankful to my Madison for inviting me to experience this amazing trip with her, and to Nicolas for driving and planning. I will remember it forever.
Last night. Home, unpacked, showered, on the couch with Steve, Flynn, and our pups. I have a signed cookbook from Ina to look through today, and then I am excited to visit you! Have a wonderful weekend, my friends! And, I am sharing one of Ina's most amazing recipes down below! Give it a try sometime!
Billie Jo
Hi Billie Jo! This is so cool! How thoughtful of your daughter and son-in-law to arrange everything and invite you to this awesome event with Ina Garten! What a great time and special memory for you all! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. See you again soon!
ReplyDeleteWell that is the most amazing!!!! I love this for you all!!! We (Husband and I) just read her memoir, so great. I am sure she's just lovely in person.
ReplyDeleteWOW!! The Hamptons is on my list of places to visit and Ina is amazing. I'm so happy you got to enjoy this special memory with your daughter :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic opportunity! That's so exciting that you got to meet her, and give to a very worthy cause. Glad you all had a great time!
ReplyDeleteOh Billie Jo! I'm so happy just reading this. What a blessing in so many ways! Your Madison and Nicolas are so special. It shows how loved you are that you were included.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this!
Oh my goodness. I have also watched Ina for years. She seems like such a gracious woman. How blessed you are to have such a wonderful daughter and son-in-law to include you in a wonderful time of adventure while also supporting a very worthy cause. Your family is so wonderful. I love reading about all of the things that you all do together. Not many son-in-laws would truly enjoy time like that with their mother-in-law. I truly enjoy reading about all of the fun things you do together. I hope your weekend is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and hugs,
Betsy
Wow! It's an experience of a lifetime! How wonderful to share it with your daughter. I love the photos of the iconic views! I'm so happy for you my friend. Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible treat! I am pea green with envy, while at the same time, so happy for you to have this time with your daughter and SIL!
ReplyDelete