September 25, 2024

It's Fun To Think Back To When...

 


You opened your locker and found one of these on top of your Algebra book. Should you open it now and rush through reading it, or wait until you have time to overanalyze every word and think of a reply?


You opened this on Christmas morning, spent hours getting it to look exactly like the box, and then used all the perfect white paper that came with it on Christmas Day.



You grabbed this and a Pepsi and flopped on the couch to watch MTV on a Saturday night.


Mom bought this deliciousness at the store on payday, and you poured a big bowl with lots of cold milk for an after-school snack. 


You walked into your classroom and saw this thing set up. You knew it would be a fantastic day because the lights would be off, and your teacher would be too busy wiping the smeary marker off the plastic sheet and fiddling with the lamp to make it clearer that she wouldn't care who was following along.


When your mom called you to set the table for dinner, you saw she was making your favorite macaroni and cheese with butter bread on a Friday night. So you pulled these dishes out of the cupboard and felt happy and content at home.


You find this in the cupboard, which was so much better than 

this.

And, finally, it's fun to go way back to when 




You came home from school and watched reruns of some old favorite shows in the family room with your sisters before dinner on a cozy autumn afternoon.


What things do you remember when you go back, my friends?
Bonus points for anyone who can name all three of these old favorites. I gave you one for a head start!

Billie Jo

 









14 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember these well. Wasn't it fun to write those silly notes and then fold them that certain way? And the Crayola Caddy! I still have a thing for Crayons haha. I think that dinnerware is Corning Ware, which my mom had growing up, and I still have the plain white dishes today. They say they are hard to break, and they really are. Have only broken a few in my time. That's so funny what you said about the classroom lamp, and it's true, right? And Yes, I know all three of these shows! Such a delightful post, Billie Jo. These products and memories will last a life time, my friend. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooop,s I meant Corelle dishes. That's the ones I have. These dishes on here look similar. ; )

      Delete
  2. I know them also but not as reruns...lol...being evacuated for hurricane...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember them all! Actually I remember all of these things in your post and they brought back wonderful, wonderful memories. We had that same set of "Butterfly Gold" corelle dishware when we first were married. They lasted forever and we gave them to our middle son when he moved out because I was sick of them and wanted new dishes. He and his wife are still using them 22 years later! They are the dishes that never die.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy your nostalgia posts! Always had great arguments with my older brother, me wanting to watch Gilligan's Island while he wanted to watch Star Trek or MASH. Ha. Then at some point, Gilligan's Island reruns gave way to reruns of Happy Days and the after school specials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Billie Jo, love this post! I grew up with six siblings, and payday was when we got the goodies...that never lasted until the next payday. We had those dishes too, and lots of the plastic bowls and cups that margarine came in (oleo?). I remember going to friends' houses and they had the pudding in a can, my mother made our pudding. Friday nights: Brady Bunch then the Partridge Family....oh, and the crayons, I never had that little caddy, but I had the box of 64 with the sharpener, and oh how I treasured those! We had the requisite huge bin of broken/wrapperless/dull crayons, but my 64 count box was special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember all of them! The Get Smart guy and Agent 99! Remember the Toto song about Get Smart called Ninety Nine? I had these same dishes, only the green ones. They may still make Cookie Crisp, but maybe under a different name?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post to read on this drizzly day! Get Smart, The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island. We had those Corelle dishes from 1984 to August 2004. They belonged to my husband beginning in 1999 or 1980 and came into our marriage. I remember the Planter's Cheese Balls. We never had that cereal (too expensive and never a coupon for it). Never had that crayon setup although I did have to share a box with the sharpener with my sister. What a wonderful walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many memories!! Sigh I got them right away - Get Smart, obviously the "bunch" and Gilligan's Island. I forgot all about cookie crisp! And the tin for cheeseballs. Lol I remember the old phones with the long curly cords. I showed my kiddos that once and they didn't know how to dial it correctly. 😁 So many things they missed out on. Thanks for posting treasures like this. That's what we are vintage TREASURES, not RELICS. 😉💗

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember endless summers! The days were never long enough for everything we wanted to do though. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember so many of the things you posted here! I loved the Brady Bunch and would watch reruns after school. Charlotte loves that show now! I also loved Gilligan's Island! I had a floating bath set of Gilligan's Island with all the characters when I was a kid. Those were good times and good days that's for sure! Oh, and my grandmother had those dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I think I remember them all. My mom had those dishes. We called the paper thing Cootie Catchers. The Brady Bunch, Gilligans Island, Get Smart - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gilligans Island...Get Smart ....Brady Bunch.....Yikes, am I old enough to remember these. YEP I am. this is a neat post. I remember each of these things. And OH...those dishes! I broke a plate of these dishes and it must have shattered into a thousand different pieces. I spent what seemed to be hours picking up every little splinter. Fun Post Billie Jo. 👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  13. #1 Get Smart
    #2 The Brady Bunch
    #3 Gilligan's Island

    Good memories all of them. We eat all of our meals off of the green and white Corella dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo