October 11, 2023

It's OCD Awareness Week!

 

Hello, my friends. And Happy Wednesday! I am grateful for this little space for many reasons, and this is yet one more. This blog allows me to bring attention to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD. I was diagnosed with OCD in my early 40s, although I now know I exhibited symptoms for years prior. That's the thing about mental health disorders. They are often shrouded in secrecy for fear of judgment and shame, at least until lately. We are finally in a place where people realize that the stigma surrounding mental health issues needs to be broken. I talk freely about my OCD in hopes that I can empower others to do the same. I have done my job if even one person feels strong enough to seek help for a mental issue because I have been open and honest about mine. OCD is hard enough. Thinking you are alone with the constant thoughts, obsessions, and anxiety is unbearable. 

Talking about mental health issues without judgment, educating yourself on them, and showing compassion toward those suffering from them are all ways you can help break the stigma surrounding OCD and other mental health disorders. One other thing. As someone suffering from OCD, I find it frustrating and difficult  to hear people casually say they are " a little OCD." Trust me. Having OCD is not fun or trendy. It isn't being neat and tidy. It is having an irrational thought pop into your head and being unable to let it go. Did I turn the stove off? Did I just run over someone? Did I always have this mole on my arm? The thoughts persist for so long that you begin to feel anxious and experience a sense of impending dread or doom. Your stomach aches. You start sweating, and your heart starts pounding. You think something terrible is going to happen. So you try to make it go away. You check the stove. Again. And again. You turn your car around and drive slowly to check to see if you hit something. You look in the mirror at the mole. Over and over. You ask someone else to look. You feel better for a minute or two. And then the entire cycle begins again. How do I know this? Because I have experienced every single one of these things. And it sucks.

But there is hope. You can learn to live with OCD. You can stop the cycle. How do I know? Because I have. Through therapy, hard work, and medication, I have made OCD a part of my life. It no longer controls it. I am not defined by it. Does it pop back in occasionally to ensure I haven't forgotten it? You bet! But I have the tools, the confidence, and the medication to deal with it. So, there's that!



And here are some pictures of a cute little dog. Just because. Who doesn't love a little Mocha in their life?



Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friends!

BillieJo


Images from @anxietyocdtreatment and the International OCD Foundation
found on Google

20 comments:

  1. I totally understand. I have left the house and turned around to make sure I turned the stove off. I back down the driveway to check the garage door even though I saw it close. There are so many of these that I struggle with. It isn't fun:( Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl, I hear you. My granddaughter was diagnosed at about 4 with OCD and as we got into her situation we realized that several of us have varying degrees of the same situation. I am not “neat and tidy” but I do have majorly intrusive thoughts — heaven help me if I wake up at night and start thinking — I can work myself into a right nice panic attack with an episode of tachycardia which I am on meds for. So, I totally identify with what you say and know so many people who are in the same boat. But, in my defense, one of those trips back to the stove I found that I DID leave it on which is positive side of OCD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Billie Jo~ Thank you, thank you for bringing OCD to people's attention! Obviously, I am OCD and have struggled with these symptoms for many years. I have such irrational fear of so many things... like blogging... so silly to some, but so real to me. I sometimes have to force myself to sit down and just do it... because it really is something I enjoy, hence, the long gaps between posts. I have to have calm and cozy in my life, and that's one reason I love your blog so much, plus, you are amazing! Mocha is adorable, just sayin' ;0) Have a great week, Billie Jo! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you help even just ONE person with OCD ~ job well done!!
    bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talking about mental health is so important. Thank you for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mocha is such a cutie! I have had O.C.D. for many years. It is partially under control now, but I still have to wear disposable gloves in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed this so much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ADHD is no picnic, and I had someone act like I had a disease. Well it is who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a very good post. I have ADHD, so I know how it takes time to understand it, accept it and live with it. I also had depression for years and it took a while to accept it and get help. I was then able to council others that were going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thank you for taking the time to share this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your experience with OCD. It is a real thing. A frustrating thing. Mental illnesses are frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My last post you asked for my email. It's dawnmarie1078@gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Mocha....you are too cute!! Thanks for sharing your story. So glad that we are much more able to share and be open about our mental health today than women were in years gone by....the era of my grandmother, for instance, who suffered so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I struggle also with OCD, I thank you. I started at age 8. Did not know it was OCD till my 40's. So it's been 52 years of this. I dont know any other way to live.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read an article about Howie Mandel's struggles with OCD. So much of what he said sounds just like what you are saying here. I think too often people joke about being OCD when they really aren't. Sharing your story is so important to bring understanding to this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this important post, Billie Jo. As you know, I have struggled with depression and anxiety for years. I finally got professional help when my husband spent two months in the hospital five years ago. I have made a lot of progress, but still struggle at times. I know that some of my children struggle too. It is so important to realize that having mental health struggles isn't a sign of weakness at all. It actually takes a good deal of personal strength to deal with them and get help. I truly appreciate your openness about mental health issues on your blog. Thanks, my friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for talking about mental health. It is so helpful when others talk about it and make it not such a big secret.

    And your little pup is so adorable. Have a good weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, I'm so sorry you have this, Billie Jo, and it sounds like you are in control of it with your medication and therapy, etc. It is so wonderful that you post in your space about the fears and anxieties of this to help others that are going through the same thing. It is brave of you, it is important, and you are awesome. I am so wonderfully blessed to have become friends with you in this blog land. You are a woman of strength, knowledge, and compassion. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm catching up on blog reading, so I am just seeing this, but I love your attitude in dealing with OCD and I appreciate the information you share about it. I know it can't be easy, but I'm proud of you! Sending a big hug!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo