September 4, 2023

Monday Morning Coffee



Good Monday morning, my friends! And Happy Labor Day to you! I have always loved this holiday, except perhaps for the years I spent it driving back to college! Labor Day signifies an end and a beginning to me. It is the end of the carefree summer days and the beginning of a brand new school year. This year, Labor Day means something much more for our family, a brand new beginning of sorts. My husband, Steve, is retiring from the job he has loved since the day I met him! Steve was sixteen years old and was selling cars when I met him at his family's car dealership. Following the sudden passing of his father thirty years ago, Steve, his two brothers, and two brothers-in-law built that small town car dealership into one of our area's biggest and most successful automotive companies. And I am sincere when I tell you they had the best time together while they did! 

Recently, one by one, Steve's family members retired until just Steve and his older and equally awesome brother Todd remained. The two of them decided that they would retire from the business together, and just as they began to think about it, an offer came from another family car business to purchase the entire corporation. God's timing is impeccable! After months of preparation, evaluations, and patience, Steve and Todd officially sold the company they, along with their brother and brothers-in-law, had built and loved for thirty-seven years. Steve is happy, thankful, sad, and relieved. And ready for the next chapter in our lives.

As for me, I realized just the other day I will be beginning this new chapter right along with him. Since 1996, I have been blessed to be a stay-at-home wife and mother. For twenty-seven years, I have sent my husband off to work and was there when he returned. My days were cozy and centered on my family and my home. Looking back, it all went so quickly. I can easily see the various seasons as chapters in the book of our lives...Steve and I, as a young married couple, both working and enjoying life...Being blessed with our first child, followed by two more back-to-back, and then years later, our last...Living a blessed life as a young family, sharing the joys and sorrows of life together. Now, we begin the next chapter as *Ahem* older parents with 3/4 of our children grown and less structure to our days. 

Our family loves the ocean, and we have vacationed in Maryland for years and years. Because Flynn is homeschooled, we are able to spend more time there now that Steve is semi-retired. ( He has agreed to continue working for the new owners in a remote way as a consultant. ) We recently bought a house there and will split our time between here and there. We are heading down to stay there for a few weeks soon. Why am I boring you with all this? Well, I wanted you to know that I won't be decorating for fall here because all my decorations are already down there! So, if you are wondering where my beloved fall is, I will share it from the new house soon! 



Well, if you made it this far, good for you!
Have a wonderful day, my friends.
Thanks for visiting!

BillieJo







21 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope this next Chapter is a wonderful one for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such awesome news! Congratulations Steve and I hope you have many happy adventures on this new journey. And I dare say, Billie Jo, how jealous I am you get to spend/live at the beach whenever you want too, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Steve! My Bob "retired" in June. He still works Monday and Tuesday though. It's been very nice for him and I hope Steve enjoys it too. I'm excited to see your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Billie Jo! Congratulations to Steve! What a wonderful blessing his retirement will be in your life, Billie Jo! My husband retired when he was 57, and we are both so glad that he did. Your life will change, but in such a good way! We are busy all the time...hence my absence on my blog ;0) I can't wait to see you beautiful fall decor in your new home!! See you soon! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good story of your life together with Steve. Congratulations 🎊 on his retirement. Enjoy your house on the coast. I like the Pacific ocean. I've only seen the east coast when flying to and from England when I was in the Air Force last century. Happy Labor day and beyond, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to Steve and to you, Billie Jo! I'm happy that you will continue another chapter in your life in another home away from home. Enjoy it all. As one that experienced this many years ago, it is truly one of the best times of our lives together. Looking forward to seeing your new home all decorated for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- such exciting news! Congrats on his retirement and sale of the business. How fun for you all to have a house near the ocean. Best wishes on this new chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this new chapter and that your decorations are already there. That makes it even more fun. Safe travels and Happy New Chapter. Bring on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a huge change in your life! I lived in Maryland for about seven years, and worked in D.C. so, did you buy all new furniture for the house? What style is it? Is it in the city or country? I hope you show it from the outside, then give a tour!! How exciting! I hope this adjustment for Steve is pleasant and happy! Your school header always makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! How exciting to be beginning a new journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What exciting news and congrats to Steve and to you, too! I'm so looking forward to seeing your new home all decorated for fall. Yay!! I'm so excited for you and this new chapter! Exciting times and new adventures ahead for sure! Also, happy first day of homeschool tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A new adventure!! Can't wait to see the fall decorations - I know it will be as cozy as your PA home and we'll all enjoy lots of beautiful photos and family fun. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy this next phase of life.
    I live in Garrett County, MD, probably at the complete other end if you like the ocean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy retirement, my friend! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to Steve on a well deserved retirement. New beginnings area a blessing. I wish you and Steve and your family many more happy times in this new chapter. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! Congratulations to you all!! What a huge change but so clearly full of goodness. A house at the beach and at home... That's so perfect. I can't wait to see your fall decor in a new place. Will Rhett continue to work for the new company or is he seeking a different opportunity too?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Steve! Enjoy this new season of retirement! Congrats on the beach house. That sounds wonderful. I hope you are able to easily adjust to this new way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to your husband on his retirement and congratulations on your new home. Sounds like an exciting time for you. How fun it will be to decorate a new place for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Such amazing and wonderful life changes. Congrats to Steve and his brother Todd. That is awesome!! It sure sounds like a fun and exciting new chapter ahead. I can relate a little as we have had a lot of transition here too. Matt is fully moved in. Started a new job and works a lot from home. And today we moved Bubba in (his black cat) that was still living at his old home. We have fully integrated into a household of 5! And it will be kind of fun to have a black cat around in time for Halloween. Lol 😉 Blessings to you both on this new life adventure!! 🙏 💗

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to Steve on his retirement!!! And a house at the beach??? What a wonderful place to spend this next chapter. You are living my dream! Looking forward to seeing your decorations in the beach house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Here's to a wonderful new chapter. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo