August 30, 2023

Come On Down!

 

I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood, and one of the best is watching Bob Barker on The Price is Right every day in the summer, on holiday breaks, and on sick days home from school. Was it even a legitimate sick day if you didn't watch Bob Barker, sip ginger ale, and eat Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup with saltines?? 

I remember summer days at 11:00 a.m., sitting in the family room with my sisters, hoping that someone would get to play The Clock Game or win both showcases. My Grandma Mil watched it too, and sometimes we would call her and see what she thought about a game or a contestant! It was fun. Simple, clean, cozy, fun. And I loved it.

I also remember watching some other favorites, The Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants. Bob Barker hosted these programs for several years, and I loved it when he used his signature line there, too. I still hear him saying, " Come on down, Miss USA!" 

Hearing of his death was not a surprise. He was 99, after all. But realizing that yet another one of my childhood icons is gone is hard, as it serves as a reminder that life does indeed pass quickly, and I get older at the same time. Maybe that is why I prefer to watch the old Price is Right. The one I know and love. The one with Bob Barker streaming on Pluto and Roku TV. For a short time, I can forget about the ugliness of our world today and be that young girl again, sitting in my childhood home, watching The Price is Right with my sisters,  my mom making melty ham and cheese sandwiches in the kitchen nearby.  




If you are interested, CBS is airing a special to celebrate Bob Barker's life tomorrow night at 8:00 p.m.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friends!

BillieJo








16 comments:

  1. I've seen memes on Facebook about how home from school sick days consisted of The Price is Right, ginger ale and soup and was like Oh, I'm not the only one! I recently started watching the old episodes again with the kids. Yes, it's sad to see parts of our childhood dying away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was sure one of a kind. Smooth and joyful, yet seeming to be so humble. Forget to tell you that I love your new back to school header!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching Bob Barker on Truth or Consequences with my Grandmother when I was a little girl.
    He always seems such a gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. It wasn't a sick day with out Bob Barker. I always like him a lot and he will be missed.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such good memories. I remember sick days with chicken noodle soup and saltines and ginger ale:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes!! Such wonderful memories of Bob making a sick day at home all better. Truly another icon gone. That life cycle we talk about and expect these things...but doesn't make me feel less old! Lol 😏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob Barker was definitely an iconic part of my childhood. My mom still watches the old game shows on the Game Show Network.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never been into game shows but he was an icon and will be missed. I have to admit I love those days of old but I also absolutely love this thing called old age. LOL I have the best family and they make the world good. I guess I have always ignored the ugly parts during my years and years and years. Keep writing
    Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was Brenda not anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember watching Price is Right during the summer when I was a kid too. Loved it! I always enjoyed him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a few years older than you and remember him on Truth or Consequences. He was a lovely, talented man and will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Bob Barker shows were good to watch years ago. I'll check out the service for him tomorrow. Mostly on Paramount +channel that's connected to CBS. 99 years old is a long time to live. When reading the Bible early in Genesis and beyond how old people were when died. 400 years plus. Not now. We're a day older daily. Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Price is Right was a staple in our house! I particularly remember being on bedrest with my second child (not exactly a sick day but had the same feeling - lol!) and I was just getting comfy and ready to watch the show when my water broke! That was at 11:00 (the time for Price is Right every day)....and my son was born at 12:12!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite a career! Rest in peace, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful memories.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/09/my-favorite-white-flowy-long-sleeve-maxi-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, he had such a long life, didn't he? The thing I remember about him is his positive nature, and every time I saw him on tv, he never seemed to age. Lovely memories of your childhood watching the game show and your mom making you melted ham and cheese sandwiches.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo