December 9, 2015

Afternoon Tea At Christmastime

This special time of year passes quickly. It is very easy to treat these festive days as we would any other, wrapped up in our day to day responsibilities and commitments. This year, the children and I decided to make certain we relished these days of waiting. We wanted to make each and every single day special. And so we decided to take a break each day for afternoon tea. We chose 4:00, as Madison is home from work, the kids are finished with school, and the darkness is just about to descend upon us for the evening. We call it afternoon tea, but only two of us...Madison and I...drink tea. Peyton and Flynn enjoy milk in their special Christmas cups, and Rhett...well, Rhett enjoys his drink of choice...V8 Splash. : ) Some days we have cookies, others a piece of chocolate, or as on this day...homemade muffins. Today, we had fresh cranberry with white chips and double chocolate chip to choose from. What we snack on or what we sip isn't what matters. It is the moments we share, my children and I, gathered around our old wooden kitchen table as the light fades on another day spent together. That is what is important. And this is what I will hold in my heart for the rest of my life. Something as simple as a few tea cups and some muffins...some laughter and some smiles...this is what I hold dear this Christmas time. And what I hope my children will too. : )

 
 

18 comments:

  1. Oh, for sure they will hold these times dear. How could they not? You make every day such a special occasion, Billie Jo. You inspire me!
    Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Billie Jo,

    What a spectacular way to treasure each day of this holiday season. I want to do something like this! It reminds me of when my oldest daughter was young and at home. She made a tea party just like your for her siblings every day at 10:00 a.m.

    You are an adorable MAMA!

    Hugs,
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this -- what a wonderful idea and it will be such a special memory for you and your family in years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is one of our families most treasured memories, sharing afternoon tea throughout December. On Sunday we would have High tea with sandwiches, cakes and trifle and light the candles, special times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those afternoon 'tea parties' will last a lifetime in their memories, and yours as well. I love it that you treasure time, more than things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!
    I always leave your little space here feeling so inspired! Thank you for that!
    When I was in college my roommate and I used to make a point to be in the room every Tuesday and Thursday at 3:00 for afternoon tea together. I still cherish the memories of that time because we had very different schedules. I am so glad we made that time for each other. We live on opposite sides of the country now but she will always be one of my dearest friends.
    What a special memory you and your children will keep of that time together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What precious moments! I wish I could do it over. Wouldn't change alot because we were happy and content, but I would slow down and savor each moment. We spent so much time running to ball games and theatre and music and drama competitions that we often had little time to eat together. You are doing it right, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What winderful memories you are making having your afternoon tea together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That settles it! I want you to adopt me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your traditions make my heart happy ♥♥♥ Such a nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love tea parties here as well and I love that your son joins in too :-) Making so many precious memories :-) So glad I met you through blogging as we have so much in common. Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea! I love your table. I love those afternoon treats! And seriously?...V8 Splash?! Rhett and I would be good friends indeed! Love that stuff!! I will be thinking about you at 4:00 every day from now on and longing to share an afternoon tea with you and your sweet family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a special way to celebrate the season of Advent! You are such a good mama and your kiddos will have such treasured memories from their blessed childhood!

    I have to ask, are your kids hungry for supper after eating a muffin and drink at 4? My kids would not eat supper and be starving at bedtime if we did this...we could once in a while though, just not every day I suppose! There are 3 of them though, that would be fine...I suppose it depends on the child...

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely way to spend some time together each day! Whatever you drink1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one... makes my heart swell, and feel happy... and want to drive over and drop in... I'll bring some muffins the next time. Oh how lovely, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea!!! I love this, I think I'm going to do this right after school with the girls :) It is going by way too quickly, it always does!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fantastic! With the years flying by faster and faster, grasp everyone moment you can and cling it to your heart tightly :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo