February 23, 2015

Madison Marie...A Birth Story

Yes, she is eighteen. And yes, I am writing her birth story now. I have no reason for the delay other than the fact that until recently, I never knew such a thing existed. I am going to share my memories and thoughts here after so many years in hopes that someday, years from now, Madison will be able to read them and know exactly how happy and thankful we were on that snowy November day.

I am including the thoughts and memories I have in my mind. I am not going to be able to include everything that happened because, let's face it, I can't remember what I ate for breakfast some days. Some of the memories from that day have left my mind and found a new home in my heart. But some remain, because how could you not remember pieces of the day your first baby was born? The day she made your dreams come true...

November 25, 1996 was a Monday. And my firstborn baby was overdue. Early in the morning, Steve and I set out to the hospital so I could be induced. The one thing I remember was lying in a bed and feeling my water break. It was around 4:00 in the afternoon. I looked at the nurse and told her I thought something was happening. I asked her what that meant. She looked at me and smiled and said that it meant we wouldn't be going home without a baby.

The rest of the evening is blurry. I remember my mother and father and Steve being there. I remember the Steelers were playing Monday night football, yes...really...and I remember beginning to feel my labor progressing. The pain, that is. Me...not so much. They gave me medicine to try to help things along, but as painful as it was, nothing was happening. I tried everything I knew. Everything the nurses knew. Every position. But no progress. The nurse would check me and would "give me a 2." Finally, they decided to stop the medicine and see what the night would bring.

I do have a vivid memory here. I remember lying in bed thinking that if they stopped the medicine, the pain would stop, right? I was such a novice. I looked at my mom. She was sitting right beside my bed. And I remember asking her when the pain would stop. I remember her smiling. I remember her holding my hand and telling me it wouldn't. Until I held my baby.

I labored all night. Eventually the sun came up. My doctor came and checked me. The nurses were so supportive. I continued to labor. My little Madison wasn't in any hurry. Finally, it was 3:00. Shift change. My favorite nurse from the previous day returned and came in expecting to see a baby. When she didn't, she immediately called the doctor and they talked to me about a C-section. It had been almost 24 hours since my water broke. I had never progressed passed 3 centimeters. They may have expected me to cry and feel bad. They may have expected me to beg them to allow me to continue in hope of having a vaginal birth. I didn't. We came there for a baby. How he or she came into the world made absolutely no difference to me. I felt blessed that a C-section was an option. And I was ready to meet our baby.

My nurse Mae ran to stop the anesthesiologist before he left. She caught him in the parking lot as the snow began to fall. I was prepped for surgery. I remember noting except this...I remember as clear as can be meeting my dear father's eyes as I was wheeled out to surgery. He smiled at me. I can see it still. This man who was not present for any of his own children's births...those were the days men waited outside pacing up and down the hall after all...had witnessed a long and painful labor and was worried for his daughter. But he smiled and let me know it would be alright.

The next memory I have is lying on the table and hearing my wonderful doctor say, "It's a boy head! It's a boy shoulders! What happened??? It's a girl!!!" I had a daughter! It was 5:04 PM on November 26, 1996. Our baby was here. I remember being taken to my room. Steve was there with a bundle in his arms. I remember him placing her in my arms. I do. I remember holding my baby for the first time. I still feel it in my soul. Someone asked me her name. I looked at Steve and he smiled. I replied that her name was Madison. Madison Marie.

I looked around that cozy, dark room. I remember the love. My husband. Our baby. My parents. The snow falling outside. I felt blessed. And I continue to feel the blessing from that cozy night. Eighteen years later.


Our precious Madison Marie. : )






20 comments:

  1. How precious this is and will be to Madison years from now. Thank you for sharing those wonderful moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love it! We had similar birth philosophies. Is there a healthy baby? Yes? Everything is perfect then. Madison will love having this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good you wrote her story even if it's years later.... I don't think we should remember every moment from the day or we may never want any more children. LOL What a blessing they are though and God is so gracious to remove some of the pain from our mind.

    Blessings,
    Amy jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my -- that is so sweet -- made me tear right this morning! Am sure she will love having this memory! Yay Madison Marie -- beautiful name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great story. I bet you can't believe how the years have flown so fast. You did a great job that day, and every day since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how singularly special birth days remain in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious story, my friend :) The things a mother goes through for her sweet baby is worth every pain and tear.... what a blessing! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Such a sweet story, and she shares my daughter and my soon-to-be-born granddaughter's middle name, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story! I imagine Madison Marie will treasure these words always. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a precious story!
    I hope I can remember that many details when my babies are 18! My first was 3 weeks early so when my water broke and I started getting contractions we didn't know what to expect. After the nurse checked me and informed us that I was 5 cm dilated we, like you, asked what that meant. She gave us the same answer your nurse did: "We wouldn't be going home without a baby!" I will NEVER forget that moment!
    I love the part about your dad. How special.
    Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Billie Jo... that is so beautiful. I'm so glad that you took the time to write her birth story. All of those memories so vivid still. I love that she was 'not in any hurry' and I love that your parents were there. And I love that you can still feel the feelings from that day. Beautiful... now Peyton is next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet and precious and so very very similar to our first one. What a beautiful miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww....thanks, now I am crying again. What a beautiful post, my friend. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, Billie Jo! So sweet to read...and how beautiful how many precious, blessed details you remember 18 years later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The gift of life has always amazed me. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was just so sweet. We are so blessed to be mothers. What a beautiful gift from God!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's nothing that compares to the moment we become a mom :-) What a blessing! She shares a birthday with my youngest daughter Kathleen :-) Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading your story. What precious memories for your to share with us and with Madison for her to go back and be able to read years from now. Your love for her and for the moment your first baby came into the world is so beautiful.

    I don't yet know what it's like to have children, but this made my heart smile so much at imagining what it is like to welcome your first :)

    Have a wonderful week!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was beautiful Billie Jo! How wonderful that you were able to write out her birth story that will be treasured by your sweet first born and your family always! I love the picture of you and her and what big, beautiful cheeks your baby girl had! Just precious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo