October 23, 2014

Thursday Thoughts

Today I'm thinking about...


...Halloween costumes. And how much different things are now that the my kids are older. Years ago, we started the hunt for the perfect costumes in July. Right around the time each summer when things got old and summer seemed to drag, the Halloween magazines and catalogues appeared in the mail. We would spend hours looking at them, circling ideas and planning costumes for the kids. We changed our minds hundreds of times, but had so much fun dreaming of that chilly October night and what each child would wear.


Now that the kids are older, it is different. But also much easier. Madison no longer dresses up. She prefers to pass out candy at a friend's house. I am alright with that, because that is fun as well, and living where we do, we never get any trick-or-treaters here. : ) Flynn chooses the same costume every year. Any guesses? Yep. Cinderella it is! Luckily, I have the beautiful dress she wore to meet Cinderella at Disneyworld last summer. And that leaves my middle two. I am so thankful they both still want to go with us trick-or-treating. They enjoy it as much for Flynn as they do for themselves. And the candy. : ) They have been talking lately about going through the dress up box and see what they can throw together. The last thing I heard was something about a zombie and a bloody hatchet from Walmart. Stay tuned.


Here are a few pictures of the last week around here. We are still all about autumn!


The last of the leaves are hanging on...


before floating away...


leaving a bare beauty all its own.


We are sporting orange and black...


except for babies who are already dressed for Christmas. Or maybe still?


We are all about autumn food...like these Pumpkin Blossoms...


Pumpkin French toast...


Spider web Munch...(Recipe here. )


and warm bowls of soup. With cornbread.


We're having morning coffee by the fire...



spending chilly afternoons outside collecting fallen leaves...



and then drinking cocoa and watching movies...


before cuddling up on the couch with a Pumpkin Spice Latté...


or simple mug of tea. : )


Have a wonderful autumn weekend, my friends!









12 comments:

  1. Love your Halloween decorations and I know what you mean about growing up....my oldest grandchild is now a Jr. in High School and the next is a soph., so just have 4 little ones to go. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot where you are from. I think it is out east some where but it seems like you are right on schedule with "the leaves off the trees" just like in Minnesota!!

    I looked on your profile but you didnt mention a state there either.

    anyhoo...happy costume hunting and that non-fiction book looks interesting. I love reading those "messed up lives" sorta story..because I am blessed to be living a pretty normal life ..thank.the.lord....at this moment.

    Yum yum..love all the food and pretty little girls with baby dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I ever said I love it here... this little blog of yours? I love to peek into your cozy world. Oh and Flynn.... I can't wait until Abigail gets home and I can show her the picture of you and your Bitty Baby! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACK! I can't believe your leaves are already gone! Ours have just now started turning but for the most part are still green! And your blog and Instagram always make me want to come over to your house and eat whatever it is you are serving that day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Billie Jo!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, it's wonderful to meet you. Loved your post as fall is my favorite time of year and of course I love everything pumpkin as well! ;-) Looking forward to getting to know you. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking how different Halloween feels around here this year. Only Juliana is dressing up and I am a little sad about that.. I remember how long it took to find that right costume and how many times the kids would change their mind on with they wanted to wear.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Billie Jo, your foor pictures always, always, always make my mouth water and I leave your blog feeling hungry :)

    Delightful post, my friend. Happy weekend! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. {waving} Flynn!!! (of course, you knew I would say that, lol)---love all your all your goodies..thanks for the smiles. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 14 year old doesn't want to go this year...or even dress up,....kind of makes me sad inside. I get it though. The others are dressing up...we've got a hippie, Where's Waldo?, a kitty (Bridget) and a pirate...oh, and a Minion...you know those yellow guys from Despicable Me...Anyway...fun times.

    Your home looks so warm and cozy and that food? Oh, my goodness...And I'm pinning your meatballs, they look amazing.

    Love Flynn in her orange...and your trees are looking like ours..just the past day or so, there are a few trees left with leaves, but not many.

    Happy Fall weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your posts always make me feel so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your fall themed food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Billie Jo ~ What a fantastic homemaker you are! I love the fall themed foods and the way your house is always decorated for the appropriate season. Thanks so much for your prayers for my son. I know he appreciates them. I will sure tell him that my blogging friend from Pennsylvania is remembering him in prayers. God bless you and your lovely family this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo