We love to celebrate with a special cake each year for Baby Jesus. This is one of our favorites. It is delicious, easy, and not too sweet. In other words, it is just right. So if you would like to try something new this year, give this one a try. A very dear friend of mine gave me this recipe years ago, and I have enjoyed making it with my children. We do omit the nuts. ; )
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped very fine walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously grease 9x13 inch pan.
- Melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Melt butter, then stir in graham cracker crumbs. Let cool.
- In a larger bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, soda, vanilla, shortening, milk, eggs, and melted chocolate.
- Blend at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes on medium.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Add walnuts and remaining chocolate chips to cooled crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool, and serve with whipped cream.
We used Christmas chocolate chips, so that is why you see green. ; )