November 27, 2012

Grandma Mildred's Pumpkin Pie

This is my very favorite Thanksgiving recipe ever. In fact, this is Thanksgiving to me. Period. I remember my Grandmother bringing this to my house every year. I remember making this with my mother. Now I make it with my girls. I am fortunate to have the recipe written in my Grandmother's own handwriting. I wanted to keep it safe, so I copied it and then framed it. It now rests on a shelf in my kitchen. Every year, I pull out this recipe and ask Grandma Mil to bake the pies with us. Even though she has been gone several years now, I always feel she is with us the evening before Thanksgiving, baking her delicious pumpkin pie. One note, this is a little different than other recipes for pumpkin pie in that it does not include eggs. Grandma always thought eggs made pumpkin pie too "stringy!" And one last note...I am proud to say I use Pillsbury pie crusts. They are delicious, I swear. Enjoy!

       Grandma Mildred's Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:      1 large can Libby's Pumpkin (29 oz.)
                       1 1/2 cups sugar
                       3 rounded tablespoons flour
                       1 1/2 tsp. ginger
                       1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
                       1 tsp. allspice
                       1 tsp. nutmeg
                       1/4 tsp. salt
                       12 oz. can evaporated milk
                       12 oz. Half and Half

Directions:       Mix all ingredients except milk
                       and Half and Half in a large
                       bowl with a mixer.
                       Add evaporated milk and Half and Half.
                       Mix well.
                       Divide into two unbaked pie crusts.
                       Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for one hour.
                       Place in the fridge when cool.




                      

5 comments:

  1. What a nice memory with your Grandma. I love how you have the recipe framed. The one time I made pumpkin pie it was really bad. I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks for posting. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi billie jo...finally turning this computer on again...i am waaaay behind!:)
    anyway, i had a grandma mildred who i loved dearly!!!:) thanks for brining up memories of her for me.
    and i loooove pumpkin pie. we usually do the pretty traditional one, but this sounds yummy and perfect to try for christmas!:)
    have a happy day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that you copied and framed her recipe. What a treasure to have it in her own handwriting. Don't you think that handwriting, especially cursive, has become a lost art in this age of technology?!!!

    I just might have to try this recipe and see if I can taste or see a difference going without the eggs.

    Blessings,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pie sounds wonderful...I sure missed my grandmothers homemade pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving.
    I have some of her recipes that I would like to frame. I love the recipe card that your grandmothers pie recpie on it.
    Have a great Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I love, love, love pumpkin pie and so does Thomas! I will have to try this recipe out. Have a good day Billie Jo! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo