July 15, 2024

Monday Morning Coffee ~ Randomness Edition


Good Monday morning, my friends! We are halfway through July, and the weeks keep flying, don't they? I often gauge my summer by television events, sad but true, and this summer is keeping me on my toes! Shark Week was unusually early this year. It wrapped up this past weekend. My summer guilty pleasure staple, Big Brother, starts this week. Big Brother has been a part of my summer since it first aired in the summer of 2000. I remember Peyton was a newborn, and I was looking for things to watch while I snuggled her, and I tried it. Still watching, twenty-four years later! The Republican National Convention begins tonight, and, of course, the Olympics shortly after. So, there's that.


Before I go any further, I want to comment briefly on the horrible assassination attempt on former President Trump on Saturday evening. I refrain from discussing politics here in this space and will continue to do so. However, I could not let this pass without mentioning it. The horrific attempt on President Trump's life is a moment that will be remembered forever in the history books. I remember being in the sixth grade when His Holiness Pope John Paul ll was shot. Our teacher ran in and took us to the auditorium to watch on television. Years later, I was a junior in high school standing in the lunch line with my friends when we heard of the Challenger explosion. And now, I will remember sitting on my couch, reading a book, and getting a text from my son in our family group text asking, "Trump just got shot??? 

Again, I do not discuss politics here because I believe we can make educated decisions about which political party we favor and which policies are best for us. That is a personal choice based on several factors that are individual to each of us. Saturday's events go way beyond this. Whether Republican, Democrat, Independent or anything else, we are all human beings. As such, we should be able to come together and agree that any attempt on a human's life, as well as the senseless taking of another human life, is a horrific act of violence that must not be tolerated. I pray we can come together as people, as Americans, and set the hate aside. And that is all I am going to say about that.


Happy news: I visited my momma yesterday! She was doing well and was so glad to see me. I know she knows I am important to her and a piece of her life. Sometimes I am me, BJ, she says, and other times I am her best friend, whom she grew up with. I am also her mother. None of that matters to me because she knows I love her and is happy when we visit! I cherish every moment we share, and while I am optimistic here in this space, I am also aware that this crappy disease is slowly taking her further away from me every day. And that sucks. What helps my sister Margie and I are the moments we share with her when our Mom breaks through and we see the beautiful woman who gave us the most wonderful and happy childhood.






My bestie Heather and her husband Dave came over Saturday night for an impromptu fire. The weather was perfect—not too hot and not too chilly. We had pizza mountain pies, fruit mountain pies, and, of course, S'mores! Steve caught his first fish of the year and saw some beautiful bucks on his walk. While he was doing that, I was working in the kitchen and thinking about how excellent my homemaker skills were when I found this.



Is that even possible? This means I would have moved this little plastic jar of red pepper two times! And then, I never noticed it was that old? It's one of life's unanswered questions, I suppose.


On that note, I'm off to get some breakfast. Or another cup of coffee. Or both. Have a lovely Monday, my friends. Thanks for visiting!

Billie Jo





25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture with your mother and what good news!
    Summer goes by fast!! It's hot here.
    Yes it is shocking to have a president shot!!
    Have a nice Week Billie Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not discussing politics is my mantra as well, BJ. Still, we need to acknowledge the horrible events that have taken place. There is no place for violence, period!!
    I love seeing you and your mother and sister. Your acceptance of her at this stage of life is beautiful, my friend. What a great photo!
    And the photos of the deer are spectacular! I love the one peeking through the grass--amazing.
    Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Brother is one of our guilty pleasures too. We look forward to it every summer and have also been watching since the beginning.
    I am still processing what happened to former President Trump this weekend. To say I'm very worried about our country is an understatement.
    I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing about your visits with your mom. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great photo of you and your Mom and sister! Yes, summer is speeding by!! It's been really really hot in Nebraska, but I still prefer summer temps over winter freeze! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning deer photos! My grandmother, who mostly raised me, had Alzheimer's. It was so awful to go through. I think maybe it is harder for the caregiver than the affected person, because maybe they are not as aware of what is happening to them. It is so good that your Mom always knows you are someone she loves!!! That is all that matters! I try not to post political things either, because it is so divisive. So I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Billie Jo,
    Your sister, Mom and you in that photo is priceless and no matter—she still is HAPPY to see ya'll!
    We must pray very hard for our nation and hope that high morals will come back into our daily life!
    What wildlife photos.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Billie Jo,
    What happened on Saturday was absolutely horrific. I continue to pray for protection for President Trump and his family along with our country. God most definitely has his hand on our President Trump. I love the picture of you and your sister with your sweet mom. She seems like the loveliest lady! I agree, Alzheimer's is such a horrible disease. Sadly, my grandmother (my mom's mom) passed away from the disease at the end of June. She and my mom are both dearly missed. And thanks for the reminder... I need to go through my spice cabinet as I'm sure I have some outdated ones. Have a great day, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those photos of the deer! Hooray for the first catch!! And, yes, this weekend's events go way past politics, political parties, etc. What a very sad time for our country. Moving on. Glad you had a good visit with your mom. How precious those visits are, I am sure. Happy Monday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words were just straightforward and honest and true, and I don't like to post political things on my blog either, but this day was a tragic one. So sad. I remember when The Pope was shot also, and he is one of my beloved Saints to this day. So glad you got to visit with your Mom. This is a dear picture of you and your sister and her. I'm so sorry she has this declining disease. And that BUCK, what a sight! And lastly, I want that Minnie cup! haha. Where did you ever find that?

    Have a blessed week, Billie Jo. This and that posts are always my favorites. A little of this and that shows our blog friends a sweet glimpse to our world. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right. Any degenerative memory disease is crappy and unfair. Thank God we have a God and a faith. And good for you for taking and making the time together as best you can through it.

    It was a weird weekend. So many opinions and theories and news stories. And it's all just sad. I am glad I don't watch the news and can monitor my own intake of information about it. I don't want to be ignorant or blatantly un-informed, but too much of that brings me down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new week to you beautiful Billie Jo! I so agree that politics completely aside - the value of human life is everything and violence is never the answer. I'm so sad we're so divided as a nation and have lost our way on so many levels. I keep praying to the One I put all faith in and that brings me peace amongst it all - always.
    You know my heart literally hurts when I read about the pain of losing bits of your sweet Mom and I relate all too well. But you have the best loving attitude about it all and keep rejoicing in the love you share and that's EVERYTHING! 💗
    I forgot Big Bro starts this week - yay!! Have a great week ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been a hard couple of days with current events. God bless America, please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went through my spices when we moved three and a half years ago (how can it be that long ago already), and I remember being shocked at how old some things were. I suppose every kitchen has some outdated spices. I appreciate what you wrote about the shooting. It was perfect. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's only been two and a half years ago! I'm so relieved. I've gained a year of my life back!

      Delete
    2. Well, this is so weird. I wrote a reply to my own comment, and the comment itself seems to have disappeared, making my reply confusing. Let's see what happens here as I reply to that reply... lol

      I'll just say (again) I appreciate what you wrote about the shooting at the Trump rally. Thank you for that, Billie Jo.

      Delete
  15. Love the shots of the deer. :)
    I haven't watched television in years!!
    It is a sad time in America - we are so divided and there is so much anger.
    I've answered your questions about my walking on my blog if you haven't been back yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Billie Jo! Great pictures. I agree completely with you on your thoughts about what happened on Saturday with the attempted assassination. I also remember events like the attempt on the pope's life. So very sad. There is truly evil in the world. So glad you could spend some time with your mom and good friends this past weekend. I hope the coming week is a good one for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos of the deer!
    I totally agree with you on politics and what happened on Saturday. Very well said.
    Glad you got to see your mom and spend some time with her. Your thoughts on her knowing you are important to her are so good. As someone who worked with people with Alzheimers in person and still does but from an office, I think your mindset is very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't write much about politics on my blog or on FB, though am a conservative. I remember when Kennedy was shot, and MLK, and Robert Kennedy, and Reagan, and the Pope. Too much violence, hatred, and greed. I enjoyed your photos and your post. God is in control!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Billie Jo, I love the deer pictures! They are so cute :) And now I have to go check my spices! I'm pretty good about checking the dressings in the fridge, but never thought about the spices. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes...I agree with you about posting in regards to politics. We each know what our heart speaks to us as an individual. Our Nation just needs Unity. I was saddened by the threat on Former President Trump's life. My dad had this disease and it is truly a sad thing to deal with. heartbreaking! Enjoy the moments with your mom and just be who ever she chooses you to be for the day. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somehow I missed your post yesterday and felt sad thinking you didn't write one. Sorry about that. I do agree with what you've said about President Trump and expressed it far better than I did on my blog. I grew up with a father who is constantly talking politics and taught me it's important to do so, so sometimes I get a little caught up in wanting to go off on it but I'm learning to tone it down. The level of hate that has become of this country is awful. Absolutely awful. We're going to have our disagreements, yes, but I don't understand the need for violence. I also love what you said about your mother. It truly is a nasty disease. My mother still remembers me but I am so scared for when/if we get to that point that she doesn't.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo