May 3, 2024

May Is Mental Health Awareness Month!

 


May is a busy month. It's the end of the school year and the month of field trips, proms, finals, spring sports, graduations, and weddings. Our family has five birthdays in addition to Mother's Day and Memorial Day! May is also Mental Health Awareness Month. I cannot let this pass unnoticed, as I am committed to doing my part, however small, to help break the stigma associated with Mental Health. 

Longtime readers know that I am diagnosed with OCD, Health Anxiety, and General Anxiety Disorder. There was a time I wouldn't dream of typing those words or, Heaven forbid, saying them out loud. When my doctor would suggest a small dose of medication, I would politely refuse. If he were insistent, I tucked the sample dose into my drawer beneath my fuzzy socks. I could always control my intrusive thoughts: What if that noise was me running over someone back there?! I could control my anxiety, which led to my compulsions: I need to turn around and drive back to check, which gave me a brief sense of relief. That is the OCD Cycle, and until I turned forty and began menopause, I could live my life with only the smallest amount of distress. I could. Until I couldn't. 

There was a day several years ago when I became so paralyzed with panic over intrusive thoughts of everything from moles on my back to the fear of driving home from our camp that Steve took me to the Emergency Room. The next day, we went to see my family doctor. I finally opened up and poured out all the thoughts and fears I had inside, the ones I kept hidden for fear of being judged or labeled. And I am so thankful I did. I finally started on medication, and although the first one wasn't the proper one for me, it led me to the one that is. I realized that taking an SSI wouldn't change who I am. It only made the person I am better. I also started therapy with the most wonderful woman who listened to all my outlandish thoughts and unfounded fears. She taught me the skills and provided me with the tools and confidence to realize when my anxiety was acting up and how to accept it and allow it to be while I lived my beautiful life.

I now live an almost anxiety-free life. Of course, no life is completely anxiety-free. Please don't let anyone tell you there is. I am, however, better able to handle the times when anxiety pays me a visit. And it is because I refused to let fear keep me from getting the help I needed. I always say that if I ever discovered I was a diabetic, I would take the proper medication and follow my doctor's suggestions to control it. I wouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed. That would be ridiculous. Thankfully, as a society, we finally realize that caring for our mental health is as important as caring for our physical health. We are slowly stripping away the fear of judgment and shame. And isn't that great?!? 

Please know if you are suffering in silence, if you wake with a dark cloud above you, and if getting out of bed is a struggle for you, you are never alone. Many other people are suffering right there with you. Speaking up and telling your story may help someone more than you will ever know. And it will bring you strength, comfort, and peace. 

So, Happy Mental Health Awareness Month, my friends. Be happy, be accepting, and be healthy. You are never alone, I promise!








Have a lovely weekend!

Billie Jo

Google for the images.


18 comments:

  1. I love this post! I have had OCD for many years. My arms bled from washing so much, plus other things. It is down to a mild roar now, but still a bit lingers. You were so lucky to find the right people!! What is the med that worked for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you for writing this post. I have Bi Polar and for years would not admit to myself that this was the case. Because I got help from a doctor, my quality of life is so much better. We need to break the stigma about mental health issues and understand the brain is an organ like any other organ in our body, and we should not be more ashamed when it has problems that we would if say our pancreas did not function correctly. Thank you again dear friend for being open and helping to break the mental health stigma. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate you opening up and sharing your experiences with all of us. We all have issues we don't talk about but it helps to read what works for someone else. My hiking in the woods does me the most good so I keep going back out. Then I can deal with all of the other frustrations. I think sometimes...it's because I'm so tired on hiking days that I don't worry as much! lol Lots of hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for speaking up, Billy Jo. It is so helpful for so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this post, Billie Jo. It's a message that we need to tell again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Billy Jo.
    Life is a constant struggle.
    How we help other people by talking about our own struggles!!
    Yes the stigma of mental health must finally be broken, many people have been wronged by it!
    Thank you Billy Jo and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you feel free to tell others about your struggles so they can also get help. I'm also grateful for the medications and counseling that help with the different issues that are faced. Just before covid hit, my neurologist started me on a medication for my uncontrolled back spasms. It has helped my spasms somewhat, but it completely did away with the mild anxiety that I've had since a child. I didn't realize how much it impacted my life until it was gone. Even if my back was miraculously healed, I would continue the medication because life is so much better now. Thank you for sharing with us all.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful and important message to share dear Friend. We all have our crosses we carry in this life, so to speak, and the most brave and helpful thing we can do in my opinion - is know when we need help and then reach out. Blessings to you always. Have a wonderful weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate this post so much. I have GAD as well. My dear friend has OCD. I have noticed it is so helpful when we feel comfortable to share -because we often see that so many friends share a similar experience that we may not have ever known otherwise. I pray a blessed weekend for you and your family 🫶
    Jenny in NC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you, dear one for sharing this very important matter that some are afraid to speak of, much less write about. I'm so happy you have found the right therapy for you! It takes time to get the right combination that works. It's wonderful that you share with all of us. I know it will touch many, including me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May is the busiest! I am so thankful for you speaking up and out about mental health and helping rid of the stigma!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a fellow OCD and anxiety sufferer, I find structure helps me with my symptoms. My daughter suffers from anxiety, and has yet to realize that structure and routine will help out. Thank you for being so transparent about mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you are feeling better, Billie Jo, and you have some control over this illness. Such important and wise words you have shared for people suffering, and your words could be very helpful to them. I especially liked Prince Harry's quote. He's pretty special, in my opinion.

    Have a blessed Sunday, dear friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Billie Jo. Thanks for this post. It does help to know that we are not alone. I have anxiety disorder as well and one of my children has OCD. Prince Harry is right - many people suffer - too many in silence. Thanks again for this encouragement in health and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your story...wise words and a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was an eloquent post, Billie Jo. I appreciate your perspective on anxiety (in the various forms you've experienced it), and your words of wisdom to all are so valuable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your transparency!!! You are loved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo