January 1, 2024

Happy New Year Coffee Talk!

 


Good Morning! And Happy New Year! I hope your day is filled with all you wish as we begin a new year together. We are enjoying a quiet day here with one of my favorite traditions: Steve cooking the entire meal. He is making pork, sauerkraut, kielbasa, hot dogs, and dumplings. My contribution to the meal? I will be opening a jar of Mott's Unsweetened Applesauce. My mother always said you should have applesauce with pork. 

As for resolutions, I generally refrain from making them. I have no valid reason other than the fact that I know myself, and I know I wouldn't keep them! Instead, I decided to not only notice the small joys in my life but also appreciate them. For example, I opened the dryer the other day, and it was empty!! I realized how happy that made me, no folding at the moment, and I decided to take note of and appreciate these small moments in my ordinary day that bring me joy. Finding a container of sour cream in the back of the fridge when I thought we were out, sitting by the fire and watching the snow, laughing with my mom on the phone, or seeing an elusive blue jay at the feeder are all things I can appreciate rather than brush off during my day.

Today's world is filled with hate, fear, confusion, despair, and uncertainty. I can't change that, but I can create a peaceful place in my mind and heart that will allow me to create a quiet, safe place for my family. Have a lovely day, my friends. Happy and Blessed New Year to you!

Billie Jo

Oh! I had a few questions about the soup I pictured last week. It was delicious! If you serve ham today, save that bone and try this recipe!



The recipe can be found right HERE. I followed the recipe, except I kept the onions in and used ditalini pasta. Enjoy!


18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!!
    May 2024 be a peaceful, happy, healthy year for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Enjoyed your post! I think you have the right idea about resolutions, love the idea of looking for noticing and appreciating the small joys. Recently stumbled on a new (to me) word for that: glimmers. Interesting. Love happy unexpected little surprises like that empty drier during the day. Hope the first week of this new year is wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. The small moments of appreciation make a happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending wishes for a happy 2024! You're so right, it's easy to get bogged down with the negative, sometimes we need to be looking for the sweet, kind surprises that we often stumble past. I'm looking forward to reading and learning more here in this new year...again, so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Just enjoying the days of winter here although it's been busier than normal.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dinner sounds delicious. I agree with what you said our world is full of. It depresses me. Praying that you have a Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year.
    I don't make resolutions either. I am just thankful for each new day and try to enjoy every one.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Billie Jo,
    Your soup looked even BETTER and no doubt was a treat.
    Also Steve's meal sounds so perfect for this time of the year—true comfort food.
    Yes, our outlook to life in this world is perfect and the family is where we all ought to start doing better.
    Happy New Year to you and Steve + family!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you wrote opening the applesauce. You're a hoot!
    Love your outlook, Billie Jo. So true about opening the dryer. Nothing in it makes me smile too!
    And I love when I find something in the fridge that I didn't think we had. Winner, winner.
    Shot of soup is PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year. I'm not one for resolutions either. I like to try to be more present in life and try to let go of things and learn to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Billie Jo! My husband does most of the cooking and we do enjoy soups. He cannot eat pork, but that recipe sounds pretty good. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your soup recipe. Love your Snoopy mug, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the way you think, my sweet friend! Appreciating the ordinary is so much better and creates such a more peaceful place for us and our family than if we just brush them off. And thank you for the soup recipe. I have it saved to my Pinterest board of soups now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello and Happy New Year, Billie Jo. I'm with you on resolutions. I am making very few goals this year. I just want to do my best day-by-day. Have a peaceful and cozy fist week of 2024! See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year, sweet friend!!!! Wishing you a blessed and peace-filled 2024! Hugs from Kansas City

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been trying to find the small joys each day. It's hard to do but does get easier the more I do it. Happy New Year, Billie Jo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo