June 11, 2021

Ordinary Days And Summer Thoughts

 


Well, hello there! Happy Friday! I saw this photo on my phone, and I thought about how all those years ago, which seem just like yesterday, I had a little girl with beautiful brown curls by my side every day. She wore sundresses with watermelon designs on them, and she loved to be outside. She had the cutest swimsuit that was navy blue with white polka dots on it that she would wear while running through our sprinkler, Silly Willy, a whale that spouted colored balls out the top. I wore a big white hair bow in her hair every day, and she loved milk in a sippy cup before bed. I loved every single moment of those days. I never thought about the days when that spunky little girl would be grown and married and living in a house of her own. I am glad I didn't. I am so glad I lived in those precious moments. And I am so glad I am living in these moments now! That little girl is a grown woman now, but she is still by my side. Our relationship is one of mother and daughter and supporter, friend, and confidant. I wouldn't have understood how wonderful it could be back then. I would want to keep her little forever. But then I would be missing out on the amazing woman she is today. And also on the sweetest Danish husband she found across the sea. She still wears bows and ribbons in her hair, though. 








These days are blissfully ordinary ones, with dinners on the deck and boat rides during sunset. They start with coffee on the deck, Steve and Rhett heading to work, Flynn and I watching tv, reading, fixing lunch, and playing games. The evenings are cozy with easy dinners outside followed by store-bought fruit tarts...Miss you, Peyton...and when the bugs get too bad, a few episodes of Twilight Zone inside before bed. There are singing lessons, calls with my mom and sister, naps, texts with friends, and daily household chores mixed in. Life isn't always perfect photos fit into squares, you know? It is ordinary. Messy. Mundane. Beautiful. If your life doesn't fit into little squares for others to see, it's ok. It's more than ok. It's perfect.

Have a nice weekend, my friends.
Not too much here. I am getting groceries, taking the dogs to the groomer, and enjoying a Sunday visit with my mom while taking her in some new summer clothes. She loves patriotic things!





15 comments:

  1. What you said at the end of your post reminds me of a favorite part of mine in the movie, Tombstone. At the end of the movie, Wyatt is visiting Doc Holliday in a sanitarium. Doc is dying and just tells Wyatt of something he wanted in life but never got. He asks Wyatt what did you want? Wyatt tells him all he ever wanted was a normal life. Doc says back to him, "There is no normal life, there's just life." Never forgot that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny that you posted this. I have been recollecting the summer days with my sons when they were young, and what wonderful men, husbands and father (just one so far) they have become. I enjoy my relationships with them as adults as much as I did the carefree days when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said and something I really needed to read. Yes life is messy and hard..very hard but it is beautiful as well. Funny how life changes before you even realized it changed.
    Have a great friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my kids and grandkids. It seems just yesterday that mine were little, but that was over 40 years and than I think of out grandchildren and they too are not little anymore, but in their 20's. Time goes by too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully stated. Thanks for the reminder. My kids are still young but I often think about how much I miss the baby and toddler stages. I tried living in the moment and soaking it all in but I still feel like it wasn't enough. Time moves too quickly. Sometimes I wish we had the ability to press pause for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully ordinary. Most moments are just that. Enjoy dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you know I thrive in the ordinary. You've beautifully stated it. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Billie Jo. Your posts always make me appreciate the beauty of ordinary days. Thanks, my friend. Hugs from UT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those ordinary days are indeed treasures, and they slip away so quickly. I'm thankful I was able to enjoy them as much as I did, and was able to stay home with my kids. Right now, I'm waiting waiting waiting for grandchild #9 to make her appearance, mama is 6 days overdue, and has been in early labor for a few days...it IS really nice here in Oregon though, trying to enjoy the moments with grandson Achilles, who is 18 months and cute as can be.
    (the watermelon sundress and the polka dot bathings suit though, so precious...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful reminder to appreciate each moment as we go through life, making even the mundane into something special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post, Billie Jo. Ordinary time is my absolute favorite! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, that's life! I am also thinking back lately of great times when all the kids were little but also enjoying the grown-up friends they have become. Our lives are well-lived, not always perfect but we enjoy the ordinary days too! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ab-so-lutely perfect!!!!!!!!

    -smile-

    😊 💒 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Billie Jo - I kind of thrive under the mundane! LOL : ) I love ordinary days. Your photos are beautiful - how peaceful it must be to take those evening rides on the lake. Thank you so much for this post. God bless. Mary S.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your little girl has grown into a lovely woman. And it's fun and delightful that she still wears bows and ribbons in her hair. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo