It's December! The merriest month of the year. December arrives with the promise of glistening snow, days filled with anticipation, and a generally festive mood all around. It also brings, if one allows, frantic days full of racing against the clock in an effort to cross yet another item off the never-ending list of things to accomplish. In the words of my best friend Marian, I reject that idea of December. I don't want these few remaining weeks leading up to the most beautiful days of the year to be hectic and stressful. Rather, I want them to be calm, meaningful, joyful, and, of course, cozy.
To that end, I intend this month to do less
- mindless and reckless online shopping
- Pinterest scrolling for ideas I don't need
- elaborate planning of family events
- counting calories, carbs, and points to the point of being distracted
- worrying about getting everything done
- comparing this year to past Christmas celebrations
- feeling guilty for saying No, Thank you
- thinking ahead to January and beyond.
And spend more time
- sitting by the tree in the early morning with my coffee
- serving simple dinners with little preparation
- reading the stack of Christmas books we have collected
- listening to classic Christmas music
- enjoying weekly afternoon tea with my kids
- reading and appreciating the Christmas cards we receive
- calling loved ones to say hello
- snuggling with my family in our Christmas home, safe, sound, and happy.
That's the plan anyway.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Happy December, my friends.