August 16, 2012

Making Beds

I have a confession to make. I love making beds. Really. There is just something about freshly made beds that makes me happy. It goes way back to when I was a young, newly married elementary school teacher. Every morning on my way to school, I drove past the house of a woman I knew. Sometimes in the darkness of the early morning, I saw lights on upstairs. I knew she was busy in there, getting her young children ready for school, packing backpacks, and making beds.

As much as I enjoyed teaching, I wanted that to be me. I wanted to be the mom at home, pouring cereal, brushing hair, and making beds. Thankfully, that is exactly what I am blessed to do every day. Steve and I have a good system going. He takes the kids to school, and I pick them up. Flynn loves to ride along with Steve in the morning, so as soon as they leave, I head upstairs to make beds. I open the blinds to let the sunlight in. I smooth comforters and plump pillows. And I think about how blessed I am.

I know some may say, "Can't they make their own beds?" Yes. Yes, they can. And they do. Mostly. They make their own beds on weekends and during summer. On school days, however, my two oldest need to be out the door by 7:15. It is just easier for me to do it. I make my own bed every day, and I certainly don't mind. As the school years fly by, I am reminded of how blessed I am to have 4 children's beds to make. ( Yes, I even fold the blanket in Flynn's crib!) I know someday these beds won't be slept in. They won't be covered in stuffed animals. I am reminded of the woman whose house I passed all those years ago. Her children are all grown now. But she has something else to do. She became a teacher... : )


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Billie Jo. It reminds me exactly of my mother. I remember leaving out the door and picturing just what my beautiful mother was doing...making beds, chores here and there, and I always came home to some delicious smell hanging in the air after school. We always had home made snacks and I remember whining, "Why can't we ever have a hostess twinkie?" Haha. Well, I don't have Hostess twinkies in my house either. We go with home made. Beautiful bedroom, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo