September 28, 2026

Monday Morning Coffee

Good Monday morning, my friends! What a storm! I pray anyone who was in the vicinity of this weekend's storm is safe, sound, and unharmed. We were spared the worst of it, although the wind and storm surge were tremendous. Friday afternoon, Steve, Flynn, and I went over to the condo to see for ourselves. If you are a Seinfeld fan, you may recognize this famous line.

And it was indeed.






While the waves were rough, the water near our building stayed far enough away to not cause damage. Further down, however, closer to the inlet, so many streets flooded. The power of the ocean is unbelievable at times. And yet, Mother Nature still does her thing in the sky. This is what the sky looked like as we headed back to our house Friday afternoon.


Fortunately, our home sits up high, as do many here, and we were safe from any damage from the bay. Saturday was stormy, so I did the usual Saturday-afternoon things, and then we headed to Mass. I thought a windy, rainy September night called for a cozy supper, so after Mass, I made a roast chicken dinner, and Madison and Nicolas joined us for our first cozy meal of autumn.


I strive to always be transparent here, and I must tell you, it was indeed delicious! It was also semi-homemade! Thanksgiving is when we go all out with the entire made-from-scratch meal, but this one was sort of a fast-paced, it's just as good, from-a-box style. The chicken comes pre-seasoned in a cooking bag, so I just literally put it in the oven. The corn is Birds Eye frozen, and the stuffing is good old Stove Top! The mashed potatoes are the best I have found instant...Idahoan. Now, the gravy, though? The gravy is all me. LOL. A wonderful, wonderful friend taught me long ago to mix water with cornstarch rather than flour to thicken it, and it works beautifully. So, there you go. A semi-homemade delicious chicken dinner.


Never one to pass up a good bowl of soup, I saved the carcasses and boiled it down with some chicken stock and poultry seasoning on Sunday for dinner. It was sooo good on another dark and windy night. I added some cooked pasta and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and dinner was served. 


And that is about it, my friends. Today, the clouds remain, but the sun is peeking through, and it looks like a calm autumn day here. Flynn and I will homeschool, and that is about all we have on the schedule. My days certainly are less busy than they used to be. And while it feels different to have so much more time for myself, I am learning to embrace it. This chapter of my life is quieter, and that really is ok! Have a lovely Monday, my friends! Oh! I wanted to let you know another Blog friend has returned to blogging. Please feel free to visit her; I will put the link here. And if you know of any bloggers you would like to share, please link them in the comments. It is always nice to meet new friends!


P.S. October arrives this week! I apologize for all the Halloween and spooky stuff in advance!! 

Billie Jo



One more!





16 comments:

  1. It's good to hear no damage was done to your house from the storm. The chicken meal looks delicious, and I think Stove Top stuffing is simply the best. Your chicken soup looks really good too, and such a comforting food, especially with the weather you're having. And that is a beautiful sunset you saw while driving home. Happy October days to you, Billie Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was 66 in the house this morning and I though well, that would make Bullie Jo so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness everything was ok from the storm! I completely understand how living by big angry water can get scary. Your cozy meals looked and sounded wonderful!! I think I'm going to do a chicken and dumplings night for our cozy rainy one predicted tomorrow. And you know I'm here for all things October...Autumn, spooky, Halloweeny goodness my kindred spirit Friend!! Blessings. ๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Not a day to swim in the ocean. I'm glad you were all okay. I'm ready for autumn now. I just need to buy myself a pumpkin spice candle. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these quotes! The last butler one reminds me of a boutique nearby. When you walk in the door, there is a life size cardboard statue of a butler. He is holding a sign that says "Your husband called and said you can buy anything you want". The sky is gorgeous!! I think it is always the most beautiful after a storm. Your dinner looks delicious. I haven't heard of this kind of chicken. Is it in the refrigerated section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ginny! Yes. It is a Perdue Harvestland Oven Ready Roaster. I got mine at Walmart. : )

      Delete
  6. Billie Jo, I am so happy we are following each other's blogs. Yes, the sea was very angry! The pup is so cute. I say pup because my dog is going to be 15 in November and we call him a pup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your meal looks wonderful! I use cornstarch for gravy too - taught that trick by my sweet mom. I love stovetop and now I think I need to make chicken and stuffing. I must look for that chicken!
    Glad the storm didn't cause flooding there. The sea was indeed angry that day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look like an angry ocean! I'm glad to know your condo was spared from any damage. I always enjoy your photos and descriptions. Thanks for the update and have a blessed week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had no damage because of the storm. Great photos of the water!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankful you had no water damage. That orange sky photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Billie Jo! I am glad that your area didn't have much water damage. We have had quite a bit of rain here this week too. We are told it is the leftover of the Hurricane Polo. Your meal looks delicious. I have been planning a chicken and stuffing dinner soon because this is the time of year for cozy and delicious comfort food like that! I love the orange sky photo. I hope that you have a lovely, cozy week. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So thankful that the nor'easter didn't cause any damage to your area, it sure was a wild one! I made a roast chicken this week too! Then I took the leftovers and made chicken tortilla soup. I love the leftovers from roast chicken! Stovetop dressing is my favorite go-to as well. And always cornstarch for gravy made with hot liquid. I use flour and butter to make white gravy, but cornstarch for the win on anything else! Enjoy the cozy days ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you didn't have damage!!! Would you believe we ALSO had chicken, stuffing and corn on Saturday?! No potatoes here though. Mostly because the adults made knock off Capriotti Bobby Sandwiches only with chicken instead of turkey since the kids don't like the sandwiches and they could each have a drumstick. Just days away from October now!!! Can't wait to see your memes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a roast chicken dinner on Saturday and saved the "rest" to make soup with too. I think the rains finally stopped last night and the sun should make an appearance sometime tomorrow. I"m amazed we made it through with our power intact but am glad to see that system behind us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankful you all did not have any damage. I was trying to keep up with all the intense weather issues on the East Coast, while watching the reports of rain that we are supposedly getting around her by Thursday. Your meal sounds for sure like comfy foods. Hard to believe that October is just two days away. I'm ready for it though. Halloween has really grown when it comes to the decorations indoor and out. We have a grandbaby due on Halloween....so I am excited for the day...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for saying hello!

Billie Jo